CCCP mixing style ~ <-- (also, that is a tilde)

uh-oh..........

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the www.khompewtur.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

sites down right now man...I will check it later....

Joe

Khompewtur said:

Sabbath - Thanks for the listen and feedback Sam. I will try to fix the bass, levels between the sections, the drums, the vocals. Not sure exactly what you mean by saying i need Tom's vox sound here. I will allow myself to doubt, but not when it comes to the heartfelt. Anyway, i'm tempted to dwell on the positive, here's to faith.

Tom was just the first name I thought of because he gets a good vocal sound.. I'm not talking about performance or style.. just sound..

your sites down right now..

Ok my domain registrar is acting up and down today. Sometimes www.khompewtur.com is working and sometimes not.

Here's an alternate link that has a more explicit address. It should be working until i can get the domain hiccups sorted out

http://www.vanblarcom.com/Khompewtur/mp3/chronological.htm

Sorry you couldn't get the original link Joro.

Sab -
Tom was just the first name I thought of because he gets a good vocal sound.. I'm not talking about performance or style.. just sound..

Ok, thats fine. At first i was just a little bummed because i was like "he wants someone else to be singing this?"

Yeah, i've been trying to follow the sound methods Tom uses working with him has been very insightful.

Middleman - Thanks for the review, i'll try to match up those levels. It's such a delicate balancing act.

skids - I gotta figure out what exactly to try with that hi-hat thing. Does that mean closed hi-hat on 16th's or do you open it on 2 & 4? I will test some stuff like that out.[/B]

First off. Don't give up on this drum programming. You said you had some drums in the living room, right? Can you play a them, even a little? Burn a CD a with all your tracks minus the drums. Then play along and see what starts to develop. 16ths may make sense with the open hat on 2 & 4. Or maybe 8ths would be enough, depends on how fast you think the chorus should move. I just think sitting and trying to get a groove would help you. Then go back and program that groove. Some of your snycapation may be hit the snare on the off beat. Just depends. I would love to try to play something on our drummers drums to see what I could come up with but I am not very good. You may have heard my drumming on our collab with joro for the HRC#4. Can you say boring? :) It would take me too long especially to get a good take and my time is a little too tight right now. I say keep at it because your stuff is too good to have one part of the song detract IMO.

What a differerence some fine tuning can make! The guitar tone just floors me now! Vocals are tighter/cleaner. Yeah this evolutionary stuff is fun to watch, er, I mean hear. I think the 16th note hi-hats are good idea with the half-open business on 2 and 4. Maybe you're already trying that - anyway - this tune is taking a turn from awesome to awesomer!
~M

OK, this is real nitpicking cause I really like this, but.....

Guitars are a little hot in the chorus prior to the first guitar solo.

I would put some drum fills on the 2nd half of the first guitar solo. Build it a little then drop back to the vocal verse level.

Those tom fills are a little too electronic sounding at the end, need some fat upper toms and floor toms too.

Open those drums up at then end. Get a little crazy on them.

Just polish stuff. I would buy this in a heart beat by the way, great sound.

Forgot to listen to the new version. Yeah, those adjustsment you made really helped. Those guys know what they are doing. :)

Let's hear those new drums. ;) :D

I skimmed through some of the other posts before I listen to this. I just want to warn you that you may go through a few vocal mics before you find one that is best. Personally I thought I had found mine, but nowadays I just can't stand it. I'm making do with some angling, etc. but I realize that what attracted me to it to begin with was that scopped out midrange sound, and now all I want to do is cut everything in the high end that it hypes up. So you might want to go for something with a reasonably flat response if you do buy a new one. But there's a whole mic forum you can crash for that.

Yeah, dude those vocals do sound more clear now! Cool...I said something useful for once.

I love the lead as it approaches the 2 minute mark. Nice and rich! Nice melody too. And the singing is terrific too.

You know the main thing about the drums that bugs me is the cymbals. They sound way too fizzy to me. But listen man, if you got bored and decided you wanted to search some threads of mine from last year, you would see I went through absolute hell with the drums. Ask Sam. :) But you can't rush this shit, and you can't get too frustrated and I am a total hypocrite because I have done and continue to do both. :rolleyes: But it only gets better.

This sounds great man. Very nice guitars and vocals!

Tom

SLuiCe said:
I love the lead as it approaches the 2 minute mark. Nice and rich! Nice melody too. And the singing is terrific too.

EXACTLY That's the part I was referring too. Beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaautiful!

Love the vocals on this! Some of your best. Also love the spacey guitar sound you have going.

The only thing that bothered me about this tune (or should I say the recording because the tune itself is good) were the drums. Just something strange about them that I can't quite put my finger on...I guess the only way I can describe it is they don't sound big enough for this type of tune, where you are going for a big ambiant sound. I'm not sure if that makes any sense ... :)

Love the tune and killer vox!

:)

Ok, this thread was really helpful to me. I got some great mix suggestions out of it that immediately improbed the song. Thanks everyone for your help.

Middleman - Thanks for checking out the remix Middleman. Actually there are some ultra low 'electronic' tom hits i put in there intentionally. I coincided them on the keyboard to match some bass hits to give me weird 'ultra-hits'. It's intentional and not meant to sound realistic in any sense of the word. In terms of fills i agree perhaps i could cook up something more intricate.

skids - No i'm gonna keep on the programming. That's how i did the last two songs, i just played along. Performance wise I'm not discontent with it at all, i actually like it but i guess I may have to get a bit more elaborate to satisfy a greater number of listeners. To me they've been vast improvements over the earlier songs in which i just looped everything.

I went out to grab the real hi-hat. A few days after i had been recording real cymbals in my room they were gone! They belong to my roomies boyfriend and I think she thought I was going to start taking a regular interest in them and she decided to head me off at the pass and get rid of them. Damn! :( Oh well, the peacefulness of everyone else in the building is at stake i guess.;)

Sluice - DammniT, i'm checkin out B-1's and then i read that you're going to be selling yours. I have been going in circles in the microphone forums, apparently any microphone is either perfect or absolute crap for your needs depending upon who you decide to listen to. I really would like a flat-response mic. That way i don't get my eq habits all goofily out of whack.

The cymbal performance i like, especially leading into the choruses when i imagine the guy whackin em harder and harder, but if the top end is sizzly then i probably sonically couldn't detect it. I'll go back and maybe slice a shade off the top end eq-wise, but that's probably inaudible to me so no real way of knowing if i get it or not. Thanks for the kind words.

Pedarest - Pick up the Teelefoonbot i'm trying to call u. Uhm.. "Hello Yarko? Hi thanks you for how u say... uhhh leesten to song my music ya i say thank you Yankees are big fun baseball america. I play... how you say... Na guitarye"

boydrj - Thanks very much Rx, themz very nice things to say. About the sound of the kit, i had some reverb setting that made it seem huge. I guess I am just perhaps a bit afraid of going overboard with it. I'm going lite and then expanding from there.

Hey is your name related to basketball?

YEA BABY !!!!!!

NICE FUCKING SOUND AND FEEL.

Good, good vocals. The open is very cool.

Good mix, superb guitars.

Sean

Khompewtur said:

Hey is your name related to basketball?

Ha ha ... you mean like Dr. J or something? It does kind of have a basketball ring to it, don't it ... ;)

No, it is just my last name and the first two initials of my first and middle name (ah man, I think the basketball theme is more better than this lame ass explanation... :) )

Khompewtur

Sorry I am so late getting in on this one.

I don't know what I could add to what has already been said in terms of praise for the great vocal and guitar work or for the mix/performance advice on the drums.

I did like the song very much and was very impressed with the guitar's harmony work. The guitars sound great!

I think the song deserves some better drum work in terms of programing and sample choices to bring them into the same league as the rest of tune.

The vocals were well sung and sounded very clear but at the same time, they sounded like they were in a different space all their own as far as timbre matching goes with the guitars deeper, darker tones. Perhaps taking a bit off the upper mids and adding a bit of warmth to the bottom end of them would get them gelling more with the track's personality? Sorry if this was already covered elsewhere.

Great song and effort overall!

Cheers! :)

Got it......

Good music...
Great vox....
awesome bass....
outstanding guitar tone...
drums are low in the mix to me....sort of flat or distant sounding...
excellent performance man.....

This is a really good song man...

Joe

Cap'n O'Khompy.. the one eyed pegleg misfit pirate... comes thru again!!!

Very cool arrangement!! I must have an old mix... (will go back and listen again)...

Great chord changes... at this point, I'd like a meatier snare... everything else is bathed in Pink Floyd magnificence...

Then it gets ornery... love it. Damn those changes... would make an incontinent man howl and a prune eater loose his bowel... having trouble not wetting my pants right now... this rules.

You know who might love this? Beezelbubba...

This song deserves oral pleasure, it's that gooood... dang goooood....

Now, what brave soul will step up and grant this man three wishes... or some drum tracks??? Real drums on this would complete the illusion, and kick all the incontinent bladders still listening...

A beer next time we meet!!

C w *****

erm... wasted at 1:00 a.m. yeh! it's frydee

Sluice - I knew it was one of them alphabet letter microphones by studio projects and you said it hyped 2k+ ranges and that you were selling. It was enough to put the brakes on looking to buy one. It's was the PB&J 1!!!

smellyfuzz - thank you for the comments man, appreciated. Yeah yeah yeah!

drj - for some reason i think your name is like Dr. J Jr. if that makes sense.

Ghost - I'm always trying to upgrade that sound, hopefully i'll get there with due diligence. Thanks for the listen and review sir!

joropieman - Thanks for the comments and review. The question is though drakes or hostess? ehh? ehhh???

participants - ok i laughed wine out my nose reading that. You have locked up creative review poster award in my book. Soon I hope to get that drumming element locked up in the near future. Thank you bro. Only 295 days till Jamfest 4!!! :D

Back