Can you check this out and let me know?

Pharic

Hey ya'll,

I'm new here and would like to test the waters and continue to do so. I joined here because all your opinions differ, which I appreciate. I would not only like to hear it sounds good (which it probably does) but on how to improve the song/mix/recording with honest opinons. So I offer up a song that we're doing for our demo. Gone. You can download it here:

If you can please give me your honest opinions, bad or good, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks All,

Pharic
http://www.freakattraction.com

My Recording Rig:

Computer
- AMD Athlon 2200XP
- Gigabyte GA-7DXR Motherboard (with Promise Raid onboard)
- 1.5 GB ram
- Radeon 7500 64MB
- Daytek 75a 17" Monitor (main) and NEC MultiSync XV15 (secondary)
- Adaptec 2940uw Scsi adapter
- M-Audio Delta 44
- Drives
a) Quantum FireBall 7200RPM 30 Gig IDE (P-Master IDE)
b) Western Digital 7200RPM 200 Gig IDE (Promise-P-Master)
c) Three Quantum Atlas 10K2 10,000RPM 9.1 Gig SCSI
d) Two BenQ 16X Dual layer DVD/RW (P-Slave and S-Slave)
c) LG 52X CD/RW (S-Master)

Gear
- Vintage Kelsey Pro-Club 12+2 mixer
- Behringer V-AMP2
- Alesis Midiverb 4
- Behringer Ultra DI-100

Mics
- Shure SM57, SM58, PG48 and PG58
- Four Samson Q-Toms, One Samson Q-Kick and Q-Snare

Software
- Nuendo 2
- Native Instruments Guitar Rig
- IK Multimedia T-RackS

at first listen I can barley hear the guitar. It needs to dcome up a lotin the mix (but this is listening thru computer speakers), although I am still sure other will agree...)

Vox are loud and bass too ... but need more rhythm guitar.

Other than that the song sounds cool ;)

Thanks Cincy Kid, much appreciated!!!! I really didn't want the guitars too high in the mix on the verses, they're too melodic (most of the guitars are done on accoustic) in a way and take away from the depth vocals, which I agree with you at this point in time the vocals are up in the mix and the guitar has to come up. I'm trying to get the bass to carry this tune in a way so I'm going to just smidge it down a touch. Vocals are going to come down a little also. What did you think of the drums? Are they okay? Kick and snare sound good? Cymbals okay?

Have a good one!!!

Pharic

Having been born in "Winterpeg", I had to see what you're up to here.....

Vocals are nice and consistent throughout - clear, easy to hear, easy to understand .

I would work on balancing out the rest of the instuments so they are up equal to the vocals (or at least complimentary). For example, the guitar is good in the intro but the distorted rhythm track needs to come up.

The snare is really nice, and seems to hold itself well through the entire song.
The cymbals are a bit reverb-y maybe need to bring them up a touch and make them drier. Not getting a lot of kik drum on my computer speakers...

Guitar solo could come up a bit and is a bit distorted (just my taste)....

Cool web page....how'd you take the pic of the girls in the loo.... ;)

Other than some minor mixing changes, this is a very cool tune.... :)

are the kick and snare triggered?
the guitar in the chorus is incredibly weak, but i guess you're doing everything DI so it aint too bad at all

Thank you all again for the critique!!!

id01957:

Welcome back to the 'peg even if it was just over the net!!!!

After I originaly put the song up here, I have went back and pretty much balanced everything out alot better. Brought down the vox a touch and moved the instruments up a touch. Sounds MUCH BETTER!!! Going to play with the gain on the solo (I love guitar rig) clean it up a little. Cymbals are being cleaned up also.

Oh, thanks for checking out the website. What's a decent band site without some fans? As far as getting the pics of the girls in the loo, that was actually quite easy, all those chicks are the mates of the band. Great bunch of girls (including my fiance), super supportive!!!!

treymonfauntre:

No the drums are not triggered. For as long as I've been playing (20 years) the only thing I learnt LMAO is to play as simple as possible. As you can hear there's really only a handful of different fills, could put alot more but I think it takes away from the rest of the band. Just like to sit in the background and keep it steady. I have also brought up all the guitars, including the chorus and like I said it sounds MUCH BETTER.

To ALL:

This is what I appreciate about communities like these, the make you strive to make everything better even though you think it's perfect. Other sets of ears hear little anomolies, they point it out and then BOOM you hear it also now!!! There is nothing more than I appreciate than an opinion!!! Thanks again all!!!

Pharic

Back