Can I get a little constructive criticism

I love beer, probably too much.

Anyway, it sounds great. Nice dynamics, cool change from funky to hard. You might have to do some remixing to get the V.O. to stand out a little more, but musically it's a very nice job.

Jon

i would crank up the anouncer's voice a tad.........given that it is an advertisment, he's getting a little buried in the electric guitars

Pretty good. I like the first section with the sparse drum and wah guitar thing.

You need to scoop out a gap in the metal section to make room for the voiceover. It's not just a level thing.

You could try "ducking" the music with the voiceover track, but I think what you really need is some subtractive EQ on the metal track. It's a fairly low voice, so maybe scoop out between 80-200 Hz or there abouts? This is just a guess.

I'm sure there are others who can give you a more accurate idea of which frequencies need to come down. Or you could just experiment!

The actual music is good, but the metal track needs some separation between the guitars and the bass. Maybe roll the lows off the rhythm guitars?

Hope this helps. Bear in mind I'm an amateur and the above advice may cause your gear to explode.

Cheers

AB

Sounds really good!
Real pro mix.

The only thing I heard was,hearing it as a commerical,the heavy part comes in too loud.
The music is good,and the change fits,just seems like it hits too hard.IMHOP

Great job,good luck with it!:D

Pete

"The only thing I heard was,hearing it as a commerical,the heavy part comes in too loud.
The music is good,and the change fits,just seems like it hits too hard.IMHOP "

I wouldn't worry too much about the dynamics. If it gets on the radio it will be compressed into oblivion. A good idea when mixing radio spots (I used to do them) is to make sure you listen to the final mix with some pretty radical compression, just to hear what it will sound like. Then make any changes.

Jon

jjtcorsair said:
... on the radio it will be compressed into oblivion.
Funny you should mention that...I've come to love the way songs sound on a certain radio station near me, (better than the tunes on CD), so I called 'em up and got their compressor settings. I use them on my "final" mixes now. Of course, should any of my tunes actually be played by a radio station, they'd probably be BREATHING with compression...but there's no real danger of that ever happening.

:D
-nobody

Chris- I've never heard of anyone being a fan of radio compression. They must apply less than most. I always imagined this big military like unit glowing bright red sitting in that little hut underneath the big antenna.

The talk over parts in radio commercials are usually recorded using the side chain input of a compressor that has the final mix running through it......when the talk over starts the side chain effect will automatically lower the music and then raise it back up as soon as the talk over ends.

Kramer-- that process is called "ducking", and I don't think many commercials are mixed that way because it lacks finesse, I know I wouldn't do it that way. I think some stations feed the dj mic into a ducking sidechain so he doesn't have to mix as he's talking over music he has playing in the background. Side chains used to be used as a kind of triggering device (maybe someone still uses it that way) ie-- feed the kick drum into the side chain of a gate with a 40 hz tone going through it and everytime the kick drum opens up the gate you'd get a low end kick sweetener.

You probably know all this... I'm just recalling my "wonder" years of engineering study.

Jon

They still use the ducking process to create radio spots down here in the deep south Jon.:eek:

Im sure things are done a lot differently outside of hillbilly USA.;)

Back