Thread: Can I get feedback for my first recording?

Thanks

Question Can I get feedback for my first recording?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Greetings, I recently set up my home studio and plan on recording quite often. I, to an extent, know my stuff when it comes to the basics of recording. However, I would like some feedback on this demo that I've worked on and gotten a rough idea for.

I played and recorded everything by myself in about 4 hours (most of which was spent getting the drums to keep the beat adequately.

Drums- I cannot play drums to save my life, therefore the consistency is severely lacking. Also the kit I currently have isn't all that great.

Vocals- I can sing OK, but whenever a mic enters the equation I kind of forget how to. So there is not much control in my voice, so I compressed it maybe more than necessary. But overall I think that the vocals sounded real good, and in turn are the strongest sounding element in the track.

Bass- I just quickly recorded the bass track and didn't really pay attention to tone or anything. I just wanted to get a rough idea, so it's a little too dynamic and patchy.

Anyway, any feedback/criticism on the track would be greatly appreciated. Please feel no hesitancy in being as harsh as you feel the need to. I need constructive criticism, not unfounded inflation of confidence.

Here's the link to the track: wwwdotsoundclouddotcom/woodnote-studio/drowning-demo

(I had to put 2 spaces there, because they wouldn't let me post a full url.)

Thanks
    not working dude...
    Everyone Can Be A Better Musician.

http://musicdm.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    heres the link

Drowning Demo by Woodnote Studio on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

very nice little tune..

For a first recording im giving it a 10/10 well done mate...

there are some small timing issues and the kick does sound a boxy, the snare also lacks crispness....the keys are too low bring them up into the mix...I think the bass and kick are canceling each other out a bit, try EQing them into their own space...I also think think the vocals could do with some, or more, compression..or some automation on the volume as its a little uneven at parts

but these are just tweaks..I still think for a first recording, or second/third/forth etc, this is very good

welcome aboard
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Killer song dude! You did it all in four hours and played all the instruments. Wow, well done.

Thanks
    Sounds good for a first recording - kcearl's advice is solid. I don't quite understand why you point out your own shortcomings then post it here asking for mixing advice. I would fix the problems you hear first, then post what you think is your best effort. Of course you will get a variety of opinions and recommendations but you should start out with your best effort. Don't take that as criticism of what you've done - I like what I hear in a general sense - just a bit of advice.... I think it would be great if you rebuilt this and we can compare before and after....

Thread Information