Brett Kissel - Cool With That

rattleshock

I used Cubase 9 with Slate Digital and Solid State Logic plugins, and the bundled Steinberg plugins.

I don't usually post my work, but any comments or criticisms are more than welcome.

CHEERS!
Glenn

Last edited:
Is this still where pop-country is these days?

I don't really know the mix criteria for the genre, but it mostly seems pretty clear. The vocals are very up-front and clear, so that's good.
Something about the vocal tone seems a little dark to me. I'm not sure if you have too much build up in the low or low mids maybe, or if that's just the tone of your voice?
Not sure how critical that is, but you're clearly going for the pop-country sound, which is pretty specific.

Lessee... name dropped an alcoholic beverage. Name dropped a truck. She's wearing jeans and/or a sun dress. Go to some body of water. Title of the song in the power position.
Yeah, I think you checked all the boxes. :D

I definitely gave some low - low mid boost to thicken the voice. Perhaps it is too much. I wanted the voice to have the same kind of impact as the drums/bass in the sense that it wouldn't sound weak comparatively. I'll listen closely again tonight and maybe adjust or back off the eq a bit.

Thanks for listening and the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Song is clearly written for that pop-country like mentioned. Song well written and sounds the part real well. Something is really muddy in the mids though. Can't hear the banjo real well when its being played on top of everything. Also, sounds like the whole mix was bounced at 22K verses the 44K. Sounds a little muffled and distorted.

Also, sounds like the whole mix was bounced at 22K verses the 44K. Sounds a little muffled and distorted.

Agreed. I heard this right away too.

---------- Update ----------

Lessee... name dropped an alcoholic beverage. Name dropped a truck. She's wearing jeans and/or a sun dress. Go to some body of water. Title of the song in the power position.
Yeah, I think you checked all the boxes. :D

:laughings:

sorry, but that was kinda funny. good song and mix, beside the quality issue, but yeah...see Steve's post.

It sounds very polished. Very well performed.

I think the rhythm guitars are a bit loud. They sound pretty good. But they're just a bit too strong for the vocal. You might want to notch out a little bit around 500Hz or so. They're just a wee bit cloudy. I think that's what VHS might have been hearing.

Overall though, it's a good mix.

Back