Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the big bubba band

Thanks

Talking the big bubba band

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, I've also posted one of my works online at soundclick. I am intereted in getting an idea of whatever sounds wrong and what improvements would be suggested.

Some notes.
    1 - The instruments need to replayed and re-recorded in some cases
    2 - The volume needs to be better controlled on some instruments in some parts
    3 - The bass needs to be changed slightly in some areas.
    4 - The solo in the end was totally spur of the moment thing and that's why doesn't sound very tight in some cases.

These are just notes to self. I don't want anyone to think I'm insulting you by posting half completed work. I am, maybe, looking for encouragement to finish the project.

Anyway,
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=419303

Let me know what you guys think.

How does the bass sound?
    How do the drums sound?
    How about the guitars?
    Which guitars sound mic'd and which sound directly plugged?

Thanks.

RAMI Guest
    I'll comment on the drums because that's the only thing I feel qualified to talk about since I'm a drummer. Where are they??? hehe...joking, but seriously, I hear a thin snare coming through, but can't hear the bass drum and barely hear a high hat. How were they miced? Sounds like a nice tune and the guitar part is nice. Overall it sounds like you might want to eq things out of each other's way. Sounds like a lot of instruments are competing for the low mids.

Thanks
    Hey big bubba,
    There's some nice sounding rhythm and lead parts in there. I enjoy the changes in the song and the multilayerd guitar work.
    I'd say the drums could use a little more punch and/or volume.
    Something in the mix sounds muddy, maybe the bass or electric rhythm, or maybe just try lowering the 250-400hz midrange on the whole song.
    The bass sounds nice and full on my system.
    Cool song, I enjoyed the ride

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI
    I'll comment on the drums because that's the only thing I feel qualified to talk about since I'm a drummer. Where are they??? hehe...joking, but seriously, I hear a thin snare coming through, but can't hear the bass drum and barely hear a high hat. How were they miced? Sounds like a nice tune and the guitar part is nice. Overall it sounds like you might want to eq things out of each other's way. Sounds like a lot of instruments are competing for the low mids.
    arghh! I think I might have EQ'd them into each other's way in the first place. LOL! I've just been reading about EQ'ing a lot.

Where are they???
    Of Course, you're gonna think the drums are a joke. You're a drummer. I used leafDrums with the copyright free (and previuosly freely) available ns_kit.

So whoever mic'd them, will have to answer how they were mic'd. LOL.

Sounds like a lot of instruments are competing for the low mids.
    The Kick Drum and the Bass are obviously going for that space. Well I'm thinking 20K - 60k on the Kicks. Bass is heavily boosted from 30hz - 160hz. The dist guitar is included as three tracks with different effects. One of those is also EQ's heavily around 40hz - 200hz area. Hmmmm.. you're giving me an idea here. the low-mids would probably be more 200 - 400hz. I might drop some guitars and the bass around there a little.

* referred to low eq range in k's instead of hz's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeDog5050
    Hey big bubba,
    There's some nice sounding rhythm and lead parts in there. I enjoy the changes in the song and the multilayerd guitar work.
    I'd say the drums could use a little more punch and/or volume.
    Something in the mix sounds muddy, maybe the bass or electric rhythm, or maybe just try lowering the 250-400hz midrange on the whole song.
    The bass sounds nice and full on my system.
    Cool song, I enjoyed the ride
    Ok that's probably why I also thought to lower 200-400hz 'coz I saw both your posts and then replied one at a time.

I could definitely boost the vol on the drums. Since I rendered them last, I thought to be careful and not set them too high.

Both of you guys, help me in understanding how to add punch and proper vol to the drums. They don't sound passionate, is the word I've been known to use lately.

Thanks for all your input both of you guys. Keep it coming, if you have it.

RAMI Guest
    Yeah, you got it in the post above. I was reffering more to the 200-400 range. Cool man, it's a cool tune and it's nice to see that you're reading up and educating yourself. That's really the only way and it's a never ending process.

Thanks
    I will make the suggested changes and probably have the modified version up soon. By soon I mean sometime this weekend.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbubba
    Both of you guys, help me in understanding how to add punch and proper vol to the drums. They don't sound passionate, is the word I've been known to use lately.

Thanks for all your input both of you guys. Keep it coming, if you have it.
    Rami is the drum master... all I have to recommend is just trying to bring the volume up and maybe raise the upper range frequencies (snare) a bit... give it more punch. Also width, maybe try increasing the volume and adding reverb too? Sometimes that gives them more width and punch for me. Or even copy and double track them and have them playing in slightly different EQs/reverbs or etc. Maybe try some of that and post a new mix that you like and we'll be back to check it.

Thanks
    I like the song structure for sure but sonicly it needs some help (I guess that's why you're here ). First of all, what are you tracking to?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Track Rat
    First of all, what are you tracking to?
    I'm sorry I don't know what that means. Does it mean what is first thing that plays that I use as the guide and play along and record? I yes, it's the drums, then the bass, then the rhythm guitars, then the dist which also provide alternate melody lines, then the tune/melody guitar.

Thread Information