belief remix

fprod south

Thanks for all your advice on my previous post.
I started over from scratch and posted the remix. Turns out there were only 80 tracks, not 100+. Sure felt that way though. I've got it down to a mere 76 :D.
No reverb on anything except drums and vocals. Still a ridiculous amount on snare, but I like it that way.
So did I do ok?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2146&alid=-1
It's called "belief 8-23-03"
Thanks!

I still love this song..........

I think the vocal is much clearer than last time.......

Sounds great man.....I'm listening on the phones and I can't find a thing about it that I don't like.......it has a great warm sound too.....is it all digital? Sure sounds like tape......

Damn, why couldn't you have post this tomorrow? :) My girlfriend's parents are staying here tonight so I'm useless. I'll spin it tomorrow, P. I'll be curious to read the other responses too, especially from those who reviewed the first mix.

Tom

I have to say that the mp3s that I've been listening to over the past couple of weeks here at the clinic have been the best music I've heard in years.

fprod,

I think some great improvements have been made in this mix compared the the previous one. I listen again to confirm my original opinions about thing being to squashed and now the song does breath more dynamically and I can really hear what you were doing with all those echoy guitars and I am very impressed with all the work that went into the song and the mix.

My only qualms with it at this point, (and they are minor one's!) is to perhaps turn the bass guitar and drums up a db at most as they hold the tune together timing wise as the guitars counter attack their stability.

It's actually a wonderful thing that has been created because the lyrics also tell a story of belief against great odds and the guitar work does this same job musically against the truth of the drums and bass, trying to sway the listener to believe that they are in charge when in fact the reverse is true, to my ears anyway.

If you really wanted to polish the song completely, you might want to consider these things but, it is just a mild suggestion only on my part.

Cheers! :)

First listen for me.

Mix needs more ass. it sounds like a cool song with a piece missing somewhere. I'd like to hear what it sounds like with the bass track about twice as loud.
Great singing.

Hmm. You're gonna hate me but I think if I had to choose I'd take the first mix.:) I like the song so much that either mix works for me, but the first is a little more dreamy and blurry, which works for this song. Now I know in my first critique I said I'd like a little more clarity in the individual instruments (at least I think I said that?) and I think I would - but I also like the verb-y ambience.

I want it all!:D

One thing I noticed is that both the mixes are extremely quiet. Looking at the waveform I see that you could boost the whole mix by at least 4 or 5 dbs and not even come close to chopping anything off.

Chris

What a cool tune!
I didn't put this through my household audio factory but I have to agree with the folks who suggested more bottom end. There's so much stuff going on - I need the anchor.

That total band thing happening at 2:10 really builds the tune and releases some of the tension - very cool thinking - I like your headspace.

That's it for my two-cents-worth - bottom end.

Cool concept - I really respect all that effort - but ain't it worth it when the product comes pit sounding that cool?!

(Oh yeah - checked out your web site - that's a hoot!)
Thanks!!
Milan

The way the backing tracks interplay, some of them sound like they're playing backwards. Wierd.
Very nice melody, but yeh a little on the quiet side

powerfinger - Thanks! It is digital. I use a digi 001 and ProTools LE. The tape sound might come from using cheap preamps, I don't know. I've been asked before, but nothing intentional on my part.

SluiCe - good luck with the mother in law :D

Shock - lots of good music here! Saves me money at the record store. Stick around.

Ghost - thanks for another thoughtful critique. I'll get that bass louder. In fact I brought it down a couple db as a last minute tweak that I probably shouldn't have done.

Heavy - Thanks!

Doug H- I'll get that bass. I hope that gives it the ass it needs :D

groucho - I hate you!:D But maybe I was a bit reactionary. While I'm not going to do too much to it, with as many times as I've had to listen to this thing I am going to give it a week off and give a final listen. This probably will be the 1st tune on the album so it's got to be right.
I don't know why my mixes are so quiet. They peak pretty close to zero on my screen. But I think I've got the quietest on the board.

MC - more bottom coming up! thanks!

Bulls - I did lots of guitar where you first strum, then turn the volume knob up. That'll probably explain some of the backwards sound. I wish I knew what I was doing that leaves my mixes so quiet. I don't do any compressing or limiting on the master fader. Maybe most people do here? It's got me boggled.

Thanks guys! As usual you've been very helpful!

I think it's better than the first mix.. the vocals sound like they could use come fader riding or compression.. I'm also hearing a good amount of hiss.. the bass could come up, but might need to be e.q.'d when you get it there.. if you could make the bass louder without woofing out the whole mix.. really great song! another thing I would definitely try to fix is the bad vocal punch @ 30.. overall it sounds better to me, but if you came this far, may as well mix it again. The drums sound far away.. I almost like it, but it might be better louder.. I won't mention the timing issues mentioned in the previous thread..

I wish I knew what I was doing that leaves my mixes so quiet. I don't do any compressing or limiting on the master fader. Maybe most people do here? It's got me boggled.

maybe you should do some compressing or limiting on the master fader..

lot's of people use this.. me too.. It's a no brainer because all you have to do for the most part is choose the 'final master' preset and your done.. the tune will be at a decent level.. Beware that it will also enhance any crackles or hiss if they're present on the original mix.. and I do hear a lot of hiss on this song.. http://www.waves.com/htmls/prods/indi/l1.html

great song..

Thanks BSabbath,
I've already done some fader riding - I can't seem to use a compressor on his voice. I will look at that again after my ears get a break because I'm sure you're right. The hiss probably come from a couple of the guitar tracks. I've had to do some tight Q eqing on the problem frequencies. Rookie tracking mistake. I'll get some more bass in there. The bad punch was on purpose. He does that kind of thing when he doubles his parts. On this song I agree with you, but gotta go with what the singer likes. Hmmm....drums far away. Another thing I'll look at with fresher ears. I did put lots of verb on the snare.

Thanks for the tip on the volume. My wallet doesn't allow for a new plug right now and this one will get mastered. But something to look at for the future. I'll see if they have demos.
Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Print it.

By the way, I think this song could be used to comfort people who get their songs reviewed here.

This song quite frankly trancends the realm of criticism. I would need to sit at your console for a couple hours before I'd want to change anything about this mix.

Beautiful feeling song...awesome.

Definite A!

This is my first listen,sweet sounding song.
Nice melody and lyrics.
Really good vocals.

I have to agree with what some of the other guys said,needs a stronger rythym to hold it together.
Sounds like you just have too much going on.

The production definitly fits the melody and vibe,a sweeping flowing feel.
Just needs a liitle more coherence.

Very cool tune,
Pete

Hey, the new mix does have a lot more separation and clarity. That is good. Vocals sound very nice. I kind of miss the ethereal feeling from the previous mix. If there is a way the keep the clarity and that spacey feel that would be cool?

This is such a sweet song!

Regardng the overall volume - I use the digi001 (ProToolsLE) as well and I think the solution is to just put a limitier on the master fader. Keep the headroom so you don't chop anything important off. You might have a few transients that need chopping though. That is what you might be seeing on the main fader raising to 0dB's. When you are in the limiter you can really see the input output volume as you raise the volume. Check it out! You mentioned an album. If this going to be mastered, then don't mess with the limiter as they will take care of that.

Hope my limited knowledge helps!

Sweeet tune man.
I really like all of the guitar interplay going on. Its like this thin veil of sparkling melody that drifts around in the background. Really pretty. I read what you mentioned re: overall level. If i had to nit, that would be the only suggestion i would have. ...a little bit of a hotter signal. Nice vocs in this too. Sweeeeet tune Fprod. Very cool listen!!
g

jake-owa said:
This song quite frankly trancends the realm of criticism. I would need to sit at your console for a couple hours before I'd want to change anything about this mix.

Beautiful feeling song...awesome.

Definite A!

I agree with this 100%.

Thanks Tom, jake, muzeman, skids, guernica, and volthause!

One more visit to this on the weekend, and then I'm on to another project that's been on the backburner too long.

Thanks for all your help!
-Phil

Back