beedlybum

love those layered guitars. I'd say it has the League of Crafty Guitarists feel but it doesn't because you did it tastefully. Nice stuff.

dobro said:
He likes winding me up about hiss. LOL He had me *so* going about it the first time. :D

actually, the other times I've mentioned it, I was serious... ha! if that is allowed around here.

This time, you needed winding.... your clock has run down.

Kramer...leave your treble up on 10 for a couple days... you'll get to appreciate it after awhile! ho!

my "do re me fa so..." comment has some validity too... It sounded like someone was practicing scales, if you catch my drift.

I liked liked Bsabbaths analogy too... I might use that now that Mr. Rogers has passed on.

I don't think all the gtrs muck things up. Sounded fine.

WTF is a Beedlybum:confused:

as far as the mix i find it to be really clean and not too busy at all.....very good work!.....very well in the top 5 of the most original artists here on the BBS......:)

on the panning issue, in a busy mix, i think wider panning helps......

First, I like hearing your stuff because its different than anything I've ever heard. I never know where its going (or how it got there to begin with!) This one is no different.

I found the mix pretty transparent and clean, as is your norm. I did miss some of the lyrics--kinda hard to pick out some of them, so maybe that vocal needs to hover a little higher in the mix. This is a cool song for sure, but the lyrics are half the fun of a Dobro tune and I HATE missing some of them!:D

As for the panning question, on first listen the placement of the guitars didn't bother me. Gee, if you've got 8 guitars there, it might be interesting to fan them out in different spatial positions, but they sound good as is to me.

Damn, I just heard this thing and I can't get the melody out of my skull! Good sign!

I think I'm listening to beedlybum_5.

I have not heard anything from you that didn't move me.

Okay, so, in a busy mix, *don't* pan doubled parts left and right?

Absolutely I would pan them....70-85% left and right. Get them away from the vocal because both the guitar and vocal have massive egos and want all the space for themselves. There's a single note guitar line starting at 2:00. It sounds very centered and it seems to be detracting from the vocal. I think the part would blend beautifully panned something like 45% to the right in that section.

Ya I always look forward to the vibe I get off your tunes.

On a third listen I paid more attention to lyrics and had difficulty picking them out after the 2:00 mark. But I what I can make out so far sounds really interesting.

Your music never disappoints. :)

No wonder you like my stuff. This is weird shit! (weird is good)
Someone mentioned Andy Partridge of XTC - an excellent comparison.
I usually don't comment on mixes, unless I hear something glaring, mainly cause I don't know what I'm talking about.
This mix sounds fine. The 'wall of guitars' sounds great - no clipping, perfectly mixed. I thought the vocals were mixed very well too. I don't think you'd want to turn up the vocals when all the guitars kick in. It's natural for them to blend in with everything at that point.

Good stuff!

Dim

I like it! :D And i LOVE the guitar riffs. great beat to. I heard the vocal loud and clear. did you compress the acoustic guitar?

Zeke

Wow, dobro, this is pure art.

I loved it.

I did not know what to think at first, but as soon as I heard the beedlybum, it was there.

I loved the interaction of the instruments and the music.

The only things I heard that stick out is...

I'd like to hear more punch on the kick, it's a bit thumpy.
The tom's decay seems long to me.
Needs some cymbals (or something) to give it some highs. must be that hiss ;)
and some more volume (just a little) on the vocals.

fun song. I enjoyed it.

Very interesting. I like it! It has a way of putting you in a mood, I am not sure what mood but some mood. Great job!

DimChandeliers said:

Someone mentioned Andy Partridge of XTC - an excellent comparison.

And he even doesn't know the fella! :D

Check out Mineral, Dim....it can't get anymore Andy... )

I love Andy, so that's a compliment Dobro!

To all of you who liked the tune - thanks for listening - I'm glad you found something to listen to in it.

Gidge - thanks for the wider panning idea - I always think of anything past 70% as kinda radical :D. 'Beedlybum' - it's either the guy in the song or the situation, I can't figure out which.

crawdad - I can make out the words, but that's cuz I know 'em already. Hmmm... Problem here, for sure. I'm gonna have to test 'em on people to find out if they can hear 'em. Oh wait a minute, that's what I'm doing here in the clinic. :D

Sluice - yeah, this gets down to it. When I double stuff and pan it left and right, it creates space, but then it sometimes sounds like it's panned center if the two sounds aren't dissimilar enough. That guitar you hear that comes in at 2.00 is two guitars, but I forgot to change the tone control when I played the second track, so the result is that it sounds dead center. Damn. l'll redo one of the guitar parts. Thanks for listening so closely. :)

Zeke - I didn't compress the first acoustic much, and I didn't compress the second acoustic part at all. Just nipped a dB or two off the odd peak with a limiter.

Torpid - you've nailed a problem I've got - working with beats - I need to spend more time with the samples. Thanks. A more useful comment than you thought maybe. :cool:

Hey, don't feel neglected if I didn't mention you by name - I'm concentrating on mix issues mostly, but I appreciate the listens and the global comments just as much. :)

Dream kinda people they a clean kinda people on the outside
Living their dream and giving shape to their scheming if they can
Dig a little deeper
You can see the creeper creeping
Beedlybum they don't wanna know
Beedlybum they don't wanna understand

He got the glasses got the dark shady glasses for the outside
According to he it makes it cooler to see that he's a man
Yet no need to mention
That while his attention's attending
Beedlybum his shadow mind
Beedlybum fashions him other plans

I been through weather I been kicked by a feather on the inside
Ate by a whale I been blown by a gale and been drowned
Only way through it
If you gotta do it is doing
Beedlybum when your number's up
Beedlybum and that number's going down

Nice lyric style!

I was going to PM you but while I'm right here, how does one aquire a Dobro CD? Would I be required to survive a politcal debate in The Cave or something? :D

well, this one sounded really cool to me after I found my Ry Cooder sunglasses in my trunk. Your got a knack for working out a presentation on a knack. IT got really cool in the guitars but in the middle just before the stop time thing it got lil muddy like you were talkin about. I liked the vocals and could hear the pans in the beginning, but it got a little thick. Thats a really neat tune man. I listened to all the rest while I was there . (hat tipped here) :)

Nice work my friend.

I like the drum part, very "tusk". The vocals seem to go flat a lot. The arrangement is pretty sparse but I do like what starts happening around the 1:25 mark.

I can't comment on the mix because I'm on little PC speakers at the moment.

Slackmaster 2000

Cool tune-dobro. Has your trademark style--Almost nursery rhyme type melodies-clean, dry production, and very very quiet!! I said it last time I listened to one of your songs-you really notice the quiet space between all the instruments-nice recording! I like the multi-guitar breaks sounds like a rik? Cool parts. No complaints-just enjoying the listen.

Back