Ballad with piano and strings (for my girlfriend)

Stoertebeker

Hi, I'd like to ask for your opinion on this ballad that I wrote. It's supposed to be a present for my girlfriend. I want to make an impression on her, so I've got to make sure its good.

Unfortunately I can't sing well, so I had to use my guitar as the lead "voice". Maybe someone on this board can help me out and sing the guitar-melody (using the backingtrack then)? So that I can see if and how the song works out or not. I would really appreciate if someone could do that.
I haven't written lyrics yet, but for a first impression it would suffice if you sung some ghostlines, i think.

Here it is
with guitar-melody

backingtrack only:

Thanks for your help!

Bye
Stoertebeker

DON'T SPOIL IT with a set of lyrics you'll cringe to a day later or with someone's voice that will disembody the piece from you..
Let the music talk - the piece is pretty good. Tweak it a little with the intro esp - abrupt on the download.
The scale like runs on the piano need some tweaking too. Too loud & a little rough.
Work on the piece & give it as an instrumental.
Oh, the guitar playing was pretty cool though I'm not overly fussed on the tone - something a little bluesier, rounded, leoow with the occasional step in ultra treble/wah for effect in a phrase or two would be to MY tastes.
Good work
Cheers
rayC

RayC is on the mark here - the tune works well with guitar and piano now....maybe keep this in it's current state.

I would say work on the tones on the guitar, but only in the first part. It seems too loud and the tone is not great (brittle?)

The guitar part towards the end just before the piano solo is very tasty tone-wise and the guitar is "singing".....but I'm not sure who could sing that high (lol).

Really like this one.....good luck in your quest to find a vocalist.....

Piano sounds good, but these days most digital stuff does. Guitar tone is too dated, bostonish. Something warmer, rounder would have been more appropriate. Great idea for starters. Im hearing 3 octave arpeggios in my head on the guitar, ALA Malmsteen. There they go, on the piano, very nice. Maybe less lead guitar, and more piano stuff is in order to make this 100% presentable to the lady. Good luck, women love musicians.

joeydego said:
Im hearing 3 octave arpeggios in my head on the guitar, ALA Malmsteen.

Yep, me too. I've even recorded a version with some guitar sweeping (though I'm a far worse player than Malmsteen - who wonders?) and it turned out quit cool, but I've learned that many non-musicians can't/don't appreciate that shredding approach.

I agree, that the guitar tone needs some work, as does some of the piano playing. Both instruments were recorded during the composition phase. Wich means that I was primarly focussing on what to play and less on how to play it technically accurate. If I find the time I will post a more advanced version in few days.

isnt THE WHOLE WORLD a worse player than Yngwie (aside from Vai, Petrucci, and maybe one or 2 others). I was in a Prog rock band for 3 years, and the guitar solo is the point when everyone either orders a drink, goes to the bathroom, turns around to talk to their friend etc. The bluesy eddie van halen stuff is typically what the world wants to hear.

Cool song. The electric guitar sounds too harsh to me... I'd add some reverb and drop some highs on that... or change the tone altogether.
Good dramatic feel. I actually dig this as an instrumental. I have no idea how it'd sound with a singer, but just IMO I'd probaby prefer this :)
Nice piano too ;)

Turn down the lights, turn on the disco ball, start the backing track all loud, and play the lead in front of the chick. You can't go wrong with that. She'll love you till she doesn't anymore :)

Hey man, this is pretty neat. :)

Really dig it. One thing tho, I'd say lower the guitar just a tad so the Piano can shine thru. This will allow the guitar to sing but the Piano to set the mood. :). Bass is rockin'. The guitar tone is a little dated. More like 80s. But when you hear something good, no need to mess it up.

Cool playing on the guitar. Cool piano and the bass. :)

Relax about the 80's guitar tone - most people using the forum to display guitar pyrotechnics are using pedals or pads that emulate TNWOBHM & that was the 80's anyway. & Boston well, again much copied (he designed the Rockman Amp) & used as well. I've come to accept, reluctantly & after my earlier post, that this is the tone most lead guitarist like & you have to please yourself before you can attempt to please someone else effectively. Live thnrough this tonal phase & phrase BUT don't put any lyrics to the piece PLEASE (I'm a lyricist by bent - & I know just how sad it can be when the sex/vampire/bat heart speaks to its beloved).
Cheers
Cigarette lighters held high - oh, no that's mobile phones with wall paper illuminated held high.
Cheers
rayC

Back