Arthur (The Urban Legend)

I didn't really get an I'm a Boy vibe from it. After re-listening, I sort of get one. I still get more of a general Kinks vibe (aside from the "ooohs". I'm a huge Who fan too. Go look up their performance of My Generation on the Smothers Brother's show on Youtube. That's how you perform a rock song my friend.

Levels are sitting much better now.

I was going to comment that the heavy reverb dates the song. But the whole style is "1965-ish" so I guess the verb fits in. I love the style myself. It's not a modern sounding mix. And that's probably a good thing.

I should possibly explain that I don't listen to much new music. Definitely not stuff that you hear on a radio anyway. All I really listen to comes from the 50's and 60's, so I guess, even without intention my music will have a sound akin to that which I listen to all the time. I haven't referenced this track against anything yet though. Just me and my one ear. Spinning in a chair to hear the stereo.

It's a good hobby though and I'm enjoying learning and listening to what others think.

Cheers

Better sound all round. Interesting the upbeat almost silly happy music against the somewhat dark lyric. Too bad for those who ignore lyrics. In a way they're being bullied and don't even know it. In this light, this is genius.

Thanks for coming back to have a listen. Appreciate the feedback. Glad you find something to identify with and like it.

Thanks for coming back to have a listen. Appreciate the feedback. Glad you find something to identify with and like it.

I like the song a lot. At first I thought it was strange that you named the central character the same name as the Kink's masterpiece Arthur, but I guess that has nothing to do with the mix :-) I personally would still like to hear more bass, juice up the levels over all - and it seems to be a little 'empty'. Don't get me wrong, I love the instrumentation, vocals, lyrics and panning choices - it just keep thinking there needs to be something to'fill it out' and glue it all together.

I like the song a lot. At first I thought it was strange that you named the central character the same name as the Kink's masterpiece Arthur, but I guess that has nothing to do with the mix :-) I personally would still like to hear more bass, juice up the levels over all - and it seems to be a little 'empty'. Don't get me wrong, I love the instrumentation, vocals, lyrics and panning choices - it just keep thinking there needs to be something to'fill it out' and glue it all together.

Cheers for having a listen. I haven't had time to have another look at the mix of it yet. I think I'll re-do the bass tomorrow sometime and see what I can do with it.

The song isn't mastered yet so maybe that'll help glue it all together. It was only a rough demo that I planned to redo totally but I kind of like the feel of the recording and it's got some positives and negatives. I'll iron them all out eventually and get the perfect set ;)

Here's my final mix of this track for now. It's time to get cracking on with some other stuff. Got a wealth of songs to record at the minute.

Thank you to everyone that commented and gave me great advice.

In this mix I've tried to address everything that has been pointed out to me, and kept the good parts of it. Then I ran it through a touch of compression and EQ just to bring the levels up a touch. (only for this file, it'll be re-done at a later date)

Last mix sounds very good - I initially played the first mix, not realising that there were updates - bringing down the ooohs volume and the final compression/EQ tweak gives it much more punch. You don't hear much in this style any more, so it was a real refreshing surprise. Excellent lyrics too.

Well done Mr Clean, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Last mix sounds very good - I initially played the first mix, not realising that there were updates - bringing down the ooohs volume and the final compression/EQ tweak gives it much more punch. You don't hear much in this style any more, so it was a real refreshing surprise. Excellent lyrics too.

Well done Mr Clean, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and for the feedback. Much appreciated ;)

Back