Appreciate song feedback

I think it sounds pretty good. Nice guitar sound, and her voice is good. The vocal seems a bit dry, or a little bit upfront compared to the music. (Not a bad thing if that's what you intended.)

Trying to be critical, I'd say do a little bit with the vocals to make them sit more evenly with the music. Maybe a little verb could do that.

That's about all I could nit the song for. It's well done really....very nice.

As a guitarist, I always think the guitar is too low and the voice is too loud, so you can take that with a grain of salt. Sounds good though, I really like her voice.

I kinda with Ibleedburgundy, the guitar could stand to come up a little, or could use some more body to it. Are you using the onboard pickup to record it? It kind of has that sound to it. And a little bit of verb on the vox wouldn't hurt either.

P.S. I listened to drovers hill - cool tune! All you need is a female singer that sounds like Loreena McKennitt singing along with it....

amra said:
I kinda with Ibleedburgundy, the guitar could stand to come up a little, or could use some more body to it. Are you using the onboard pickup to record it? It kind of has that sound to it. And a little bit of verb on the vox wouldn't hurt either.

P.S. I listened to drovers hill - cool tune! All you need is a female singer that sounds like Loreena McKennitt singing along with it....

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. The guitar was recorded with a dual d/i and an AT 4033, as was the vocals - the track was recorded "live" rather than layered. There is reverb (Lexicon MPX500) and a delay on the vocal track - although you would have to listen to the dry version to appreciate it!

The recording was done to showcase the vocalist, so it was natural to drop the guitar back in the mix somewhat.

Drovers Hill - that is an oldie, so thanks for the feedback! Featuring the outstanding talent of Dave Kempsters (REM's violinist) :) Loreena McKennitt would be great to record vocals on this with!

I like the sound of the acoustics, and I like what the mic did with her vocal, but I'm gonna' agree with the "too dry" comments at this point. I'm the world's worst at letting vocals get too loud, but I also gripe about it, lol. Pull her down a couple of db's and push up that lex maybe?

Again, great job capturing the gits and vocal.

Back