"Anxiety" (Panic Attack mixed and renamed)

psssst I like the second mix better. It sounded more like the mids were scooped out of it. Not a criticism, just what i was hearing on my headphones.

Don't go crazy on this. You wrote a great tune and captured the mood. I really dig the vox. Kind of a Floydian-Tool mix. Wish I had had half the talent shown here.

Ok, now u can go mad :D .

~scott

:cool:

SLuiCe said:
I will go mad now. Bye.

and you put me in the same league as a man that can't even use the vowels in the alphabet correctly??:p

I will go mod now...!!!

Well, thanks guys. Maybe some post mix EQ would do it. But probably some time away from it is what's really in order. That and some real bass.

I very much appreciate the help! I'll get it right some time. And if I don't, I'll just make a whole song out of that :35 riff. ;)

Remixed version...

Hmmm... :( .... sorry Tom, but v1 sounds better here.... the kick drum lead in during that :35 - :45 is much better in v1, and the overall dynamic JUMP was better the other way IMHOP. This is a rock/metal tune, no? IMHOP that huge dynamic (level jump) fits this song, and the remix sounds robbed...

The question *I* had about that part before was... where did the bass sound go? The 0:47 "LOOOVE!" part... but realizing that a mix with that many elements is very tricky to balance. This may be what MIX was hearing, too... but bass takes up a lot of real-estate... anywhere from 100 - 1k for the body of the sound... maybe you could restore some meat somewhere between 200-1k on bass... and take slight cuts out of gtrs/snare, etc. between 200-350 to clean up the mud...

The kick drum in that 0:47 (loud) part *does* get peaky... down around 80Hz... (man I love these Sennheisers :p)

In mix one: Between 70-100Hz theres some bumping around between bass/kick... but it's really minor, in light of the new mix... (possibly where WATYF's "rumbly" comments come in...)

The 2:35 "growl" lost its bite... :( I loved being jolted out of the chair!! :p (fits the mood of the song, man :))

Overall this new mix seems to miss those exciting dynamics you put into mix 1... which REALLY didn't need much, IMHOP... just some minor tweakage...

Your initial instincts about the mix were probably correct, Tom. No reason to go chasing phantom mix gremlins that aren't even there... just trust your own ears, in the end :)

C

man... you go away for a couple months, and everyone's all treatin' ya like a newbie... :p

Well... I must admit... of anyone aroooond here, I probably suck the most at picking out EQ issues. But when I played that thing here, the lows (lower-mids?) were just taking over during that heavy part. What else can I say...? :p And I don't trust my ears as far as I can... uh.... throw..... me.... (or something)... so I just check things out in the analyzer whenever I hear something weird. Guess I'll have to stop doin' that, to avoid incurring the wrath of supercri... I mean... mixmkr. ;) :D :p

And yes... an entire song of the stuff that you had goin' on at 0:35 would be quite alrightee by me. Seriously dude... I played that part over and over. That is some sweet clean git work...

WATYF

tough call on this one.. there are things I like better in this mix, and some things I don't.. I thought the dynamic after the intro was more resonable because I didn't have to reach for the volume.. It got just loud enough imop..

there's some serious woofyness in this mix.. I think the bass is great but needs to be e.q.'d.. I think it's the bass.. I don't think a new bass line is going to make or break this, but what do I know?

I hear some distortion/clipping in a few spots.. like exactly @3:25 there's an extreme clip.. similar to the sound I get when I push the L1 too hard.. I hear it in other spots too..

I can't compare it to the other mix right now because it's on the other computer and that's doing something right now.. I hooked up a router for my 2 comps, but now no one can get into my Quake server..:mad: I've been on the phone with these dicks for an hour already.. I'm about to call again..

I think just getting rid of some of the woof would do it.. I'll be back after I compare the other mix..

Actually, some of that woof might be the guitars because I notice it more when you chunk.. not sure..

-------------> the song is great!

The vocals sound better on this to me. I can make them out better than on the previous mix. :D I kind of agree with some of the previous comments regarding the lows but on my cheap speakers they don't sound too bad...

During the real quiet parts (right around the 2:30 mark or so) I still think the vocals could use just a tad of a boost...but I get what you are doing there with the real quiet vocal line (I think I just contradicted myself from my previous paragraph :confused: )

Anyway, this thing really rocks and I like the mix here better other than those minor nit-picky things!

:D

btw - thanks for your props in your reply to my last reply ... mixmkr and I are currently working on something for the HRC...

Sounding really good to me. The mix has a nice glues together thick sound to it. I can't remember the last version in detail, but I'm pretty sure I like this one more.

Concerning your heavy guitar woes, I'm going to come right out and ask, what's your master volume set to when youtrack?

B.SABBATH said:
there's some serious woofyness in this mix.. I think the bass is great but needs to be e.q.'d.. I think it's the bass.. I don't think a new bass line is going to make or break this, but what do I know?

I think just getting rid of some of the woof would do it..

Actually, some of that woof might be the guitars because I notice it more when you chunk.. not sure..
Ah HA!!!

That's exactly what I meant (in my own idiotic way :p). It gets all "woofy" at the heavy part.

Thanks for helping me put it into words, sam. :)

WATYF

Hey Tom good luck with the album, this will make a fine addition.

Yeah i was wondering what the hell happened to this song. I stopped in before and i was like "where the hell is it"

Good gagne vocal signatures in that intro, the first line and then that phased feel that happens after. When the other insts kick in that a nice audio explosion. I like the dynamics of the guitar hits jumping out of the mix when it's the break.

The orchestration on that break lead is killer, yeah just great energy captured in there.

Three things: I like the first one better. One big reason for that is that my favorite guitar part comes through better on the first one - that arpeggio part that takes over from the piano and starts about 2.15 and gets absolutely magic at 2.35 with its half-step genius - it's right out front where it belongs on the first one.

Second, keep this one near the end of the album. Only fans will follow this one through at first.

Finally, the more I listen to this one, the more I like it. You're no philosopher LOL, but you do some very, very nice music.

ps - the vocal sounds better on the first one too. There. That's cinched it. LOL

Thanks for all the mix suggestions fellas. I'll use them when I'm not totally sick of this song anymore. They all sound pretty accurate though.

One quick note, Dobro.
You're no philosopher LOL, but you do some very, very nice music.
This song in no way attempts to be "philisophical." I'm assuming you're referring to the "None of will sleep tonight..." section, which does sound sort of that way. But it's about anxiety as an illness, not human beings as a whole. I'll probably need to find another way to express that.

Guys, thanks for sticking with this for me. I have a vision for it, but it takes time. There's a lot going on. On to something else for now...

Cheers!

Tom

No - LOL - you're reading way too much into my drunken comment. Your songs seem to deal in emotional responses, lotsa raw feelings, which is the opposite of philosophizing. Hence, you're no philosopher. I'm always amazed at how hungry you are to get into that emotion and find the words and music to carry it.

ahhh...gotcha. Sorry. :rolleyes: I've gone to heavy into this one I think. Time to breathe!

Yes exactly, most of my writing is geared toward, as you say, "raw emotion." And as such I find that what comes out doesn't always at first appear to have a logical flow, or connection even. But it always does, I promise. But this is my way of laying out in front of me what I otherwise might choose not to look at.

I've got yet another mix uploading, and I took your suggestion about that two-step thing being boosted. I got distracted in my last mix and buried that for some blind reason. You don't have to listen, but I just wanted to let you know I took the suggestion, and a lot of others here...one last stab before I go record something less stressful. :)

And to you other guys if you're reading this, thanks a ton!

Not anymore. I'm sitting here with my acoustic and a six pack of Gritty's Best Brown! I'm setting the anxiety down on the ground for a while. :)

Oh I just read your "loacation." I read that whole series twice...right through "Mostly Harmless." Shame he died eh?

Oh I just read your "loacation." I read that whole series twice...right through "Mostly Harmless." Shame he died eh?

ahh it always take me a while to 'get it' when someone makes a douglas adams reference. I was like "who is sluice talking to?"

Yeah that series was a lot of fun but i'm more about robots, cyborgs, terminators, benders, or khompewturs of all shapes and sizes vs. just a HHGTG fan. I do hear however that a live action movie of HHGTG is in the works. Hopefully it will get a treatment on par that Lord of the Rings got. I hate when my favorite pop culture books get butchered on the screen. Hey don't forget if you need any web help setting up a site lemme know.

Actually Khomp, I have been keeping you in mind for that. I dig your approach to that on your site. Maybe we can chat some more as I get closer to finishing with the music for a cd.
BTW, I doubt they'd give it the royal LOTR treatment, but it would be pretty senseless to just bang out a low budget production too. This is 2003...we need graphics, baby. GRAPHICS! And who do we get to play Arthur Dent... :)

Consistently kicking my ass.

Atta Boy.

What hurts me on this one is that, although the dirty guitars fit the song and are very Sluice-like, I find myself wanting a more bright, scooped, Mesa or Bogner style saturated dirty stick-it-in-my-ass-and-twist-it guitar sound. Doubled up all fat and tasty give-it-to-me-now, harder, harder, yes.

Your dirty guitar sound (not the parts themselves) just leave me hungry. Everything else satisfies completely. We seem to be opposites, as my specialty is huge fat Recto style dirty guitars, and I cant get good level vocal takes for shit. Your vocal takes seem so smooth and level, it kills me. Very nice.
What are you doing compression-wise? What kind of settings are you finding the most luck with? I would think that you have some pretty fast attack times going on there.
Last thing I notice, and its just an impression may be far from true, but it sounds like you are using an open back cabinet and it seems to be miced from too far away, like its not slamming in my ear enough, or maybe it has some reverb making it sound distant.
DUnno, just the impression I get. I cant stand open back cabinets for trying to get heavy sounds though, just doesnt have the same fuck-me to it. Never had any luck with one.

Great song... still waiting for a disk of that other one, this one, and the other 5 heavy ones you are working on for me. :)
Keep it up.

Hey Paul- I am totally hearing you on the guitar. In fact, I have been weeping daily. Check out my thread in the guitar forum about the Rectifier Recording Pre... I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tried it, because the Marshall/Fender combo isn't cutting the mustard. It's just what I've been using for about 8 years to fuck off with. But now it's time for a real guitar sound. I'm going to re-do just about every heavy guitar I've recorded. Oh and the cabinet is closed-back. It's mic'ed with a sm57 2inches from the grill, side of speaker aimed at center, in a walk-in closet.

As for vocal compression for this tune....pretty heavy compression . It's the only way with everything going on here. Attack is about .10; Ratio- 10:1; Release is about .5 and threshold is I think about -15dB, just enough to whack those extreme peaks down to size. That's for the higher hard vocal I mean, the one you're probably talking about. The rest is a bit more gentle compression.

I don't think I'll be recording anything else with the Marshall. It's not working for me. It's AWESOME for cleans IMO, but the heavier stuff lacks growl.

Anyway thanks Paul.

Last edited:
Back