Another metal song. Tell me what you think.

Freudian Slip

Now keep in mind I am working on this as a stereo track. I have the adat's but no machines. I will have to pay to have the tracks converted if I decide I want to do that. I am right now trying to master it. I have applied some eq and compression. The original had massive gross low end.

I would like to cutt down the intro but haven't found a way to do it that I like.

Any suggestions on eqing (of the whole mix) or a way I might be able to trim the begining. Let me here it please.

The song is "swimming" Here is the link to the page.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=589306&content=music

Thanks
F.S.

Oh lyrics if yoy want

SWIMMING
WRITTEN BY: DAVID EPPERLY , SPRING 1997

I STILL REMEMBER
HOW YOU SAID YOU WOULD LOVE ME FOREVER
CRADLED NUMB IN YOUR HOLY HANDS
PASSAGE OF TIME BRINGS SIGHT TO A BLIND MAN

I STILL REMEMBER
HOW YOU SAID LIFE WAS NOT FOR THE TAKING
TOO MANY THINGS GET PUT ON THE LINE
ONE OF US WOULD END UP BREAKING

CHORUS
SWIMMING IN DENILE
LIES FILLED YOUR LUNGS
SEEMS FOR A WHILE
THE DEVIL SPOAK IN TONGUES

LOST IN THE NOTION
BLINDNESS COULD SAVE YOUR SOUL
YOU GAVE UP ON THE FIGHT
GAVE IN TO WASTED TIME

KILLING EMOTIONS
BEFORE THEY SEIZED THE DAY
THEY RAPED A CRIPPLED MIND
IN SO MANY WAYS

(REPEAT CHORUS)

TIRED OF SIFTING THREW THE ASHES
POURING GAS AND LIGHTING MATCHES
SICK OF WATHING MY CORROSION
FALLING PREY TO MY DEVOTION
TIRED OF LIVING UP TO WHAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE
ENVELOPED IN THE WALLS OF HATERED AND INSANITY

another cool song. sorry i dont have any technical input for you. all i can say is that the rhythm guitars seem a little too loud and the lead seems way too loud on my end. the snare could come up a bunch too. other than that the overall vibe is really cool. the divebombs are awesome too. :)

Greg_L said:
another cool song. sorry i dont have any technical input for you. all i can say is that the rhythm guitars seem a little too loud and the lead seems way too loud on my end. the snare could come up a bunch too. other than that the overall vibe is really cool. the divebombs are awesome too. :)

Thanks on the dive bombs:) that's me displaying my awsome skills :rolleyes: Too me they are way above the mix but I got out voted. I should have known only one vote counts... Mine!

Ya there is not alot I can do about the solo volumes. I did add a little bump in the eq around 2k. I could try pulling that back a bit so they are not as highlighted. The over all mix will still be the same though:( Well I think I am going to have to pony up some cash to get these tracks converted off the adats to wave files so I can load them up. I've been saying that for two years now;)

F.S.

Dude, the song has a pretty cool tune.

The guitar playing is cool. It's pretty accurate and pretty cool. The Only thing is the gits sound slightly muddy. Every so slightly. Or maybe they're just a little loud. Some a little odd about the rhythm. Or maybe lower them during the verses to give some contrast.

Had some what of a deep purple'ish sound to it. For some reason.

The solo'ing is pretty cool. :)

Cool music. :)

P.S. Yeah what Greg said about the snare.

bigbubba said:
Dude, the song has a pretty cool tune.

The guitar playing is cool. It's pretty accurate and pretty cool. The Only thing is the gits sound slightly muddy. Every so slightly. Or maybe they're just a little loud. Some a little odd about the rhythm. Or maybe lower them during the verses to give some contrast.

Had some what of a deep purple'ish sound to it. For some reason.

The solo'ing is pretty cool. :)

Cool music. :)

P.S. Yeah what Greg said about the snare.

Thanks bigbubba.

Your right the guitar is muddy. I'm trying to work with it. YOu should hear it before I touched it. This was actually recorded in a studio years ago. It came out ok from the studio but the place we took it to be mastered totaly destroyed it. I had to take it back 3 times before I just sort of gave up.
$90.00 per hour??????????????? for what. There where some problems with the mix before we went to master that should have been taken care of but that's my fault.

Here's the lesson if you ever go to a studio don't be too much of a penny pincher. Take your time and get it right. It cost $2500.00 to duplicate 1000 cd's and I only spent $700 at the studio. You can hear after the song ends I say "I'm not happy with that at all" The enginier thought it was pretty good and said you should listen. I should have listened to my self. There is one loose part that bugs me to this day.

Anyway. I am glad I put it up here because I have gotten so used to it that I need some prospective.

I have used the studio since and I know him pretty well. He didn't do anything wrong. It was up to me to make desicions. It was up to him to make me happy. Well he made me happy.

The mastering guy on the other hand.. Jeeez.

Well there's my rant.

I an going to call the studio and get the files so I can load them at home. going to cost me about $200 but I will have them forever. By the way I destroyed one song all by my self in that session:) against the enginiers advice :rolleyes: so there you go.

F.S.

A good song & playing - one of the solos is way too loud in the last minute or so.
I really like the cuffed guitar.
the power chord guitar needs a little something - but that could just be my prejudice re modern distortion.
The drums are good, the vocals are too.
Could use the occasional harmony & you've done that before so I reckon you should be up for a little on this though that'd be hard with stereo only.
Your vocals are the lynch pin on this and they are in a good place to be the focus. Interesting lyrics & word play as usual.

Thanks Rayc. I am not mixing at the moment as my ears are giving me problems. I did email my studio guy and tell him I was going to bring in the adat's and get them converted to individual wave files so I can dink with several songs that I did not do my self. I plan to partialy rebuild the songs.

This was our first time in a studio and it was berfore I got the home setup so I had no clue. It all sounded so good compared to anything we had before that we really where un-critical at the time. The probems stuck out like a sore thumb when mastering. One of the reasons when I get close to a good mix I throw compression on the mains so I can see what crops up. I had to cutt alot of bottom out of this track and boost some hi-mid but, it still has some problems with things stacking up in the low end.

thanks for the compelements Rayc on the song and the critique on the mix. I need the input because I will me remixing soon I hope.

F.S.

Back