Alt Rock mix help needed

I dig it! the synth definately sets it apart in this genre. The only thing I kinda was waiting for was some more epic/powerfull vox but thats just me.<the youtube song

Cheers man, thinking the drums need the most attention. Other songs on the album have some epic vocals, i just chose this one to ask for help on as it has plenty synth etc.

The whole thing sounds great to me. The snare sounds pretty compressed (like a tom)) but the clarity and levels are excellent.

The whole thing sounds great to me. The snare sounds pretty compressed (like a tom)) but the clarity and levels are excellent.

Thanks man. Working under limitations (recorded in my bedroom) so to have any positive comments is pretty cool.

Anyone have any suggestions or critique? Specifically on the drums, snare and toms. But anything really :) Greg will come along shortly and tear it a new one im sure...

Last edited:
I have old ears, so you may want to not pay too much attention to my input.

Vocals start out way too low in the first verse. They seem too low throughout, but need more of a boost at the beginning. Listening on headphones, but the lows seem muddy?

To my ears theres something not right with the low end??

Maybe a little, but it's lacking a lot of space a clarity in the high end too. Not only that, but none of the sounds are especially good. It starts with the drums. They're flat, lifeless, and have very little tone or body. They sound overmuffled and poorly tuned like they belong on some 70's garbage prog record or cheapo punk recording. The snare doesn't crack or pop, the kick doesn't thump, and the toms sound wimpy. The mix levels are good, like I can hear everything pretty well, but the source sounds just aren't good. There's no space or dimension in the mix. Everything is flat and dull and on one plane. I'm thinking your room is fucking you in da butt. Everything in this mix is cloaked in darkness. Gotta be your tracking and/or mixing environment.

On the plus side, the song itself isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. :)

Hi Greg

I think the drums sound very flat, the mix sounds like the bass is overpowering in the beginning, from 0.58 it all clears up..I found the left panned guitar too loud..then at 1.39 it loses its clarity again

You need to give everything more space..the synths a frequency filler and with so many guitars and bass its just balling up in parts then opening back out again

performance wise I really like it..good catchy song...just needs more work on the mix

Cheers guys. I'm not really sure what i can do with the drums, as you say the room they were recorded in may be hurting it. Snare and toms were all a couple of sizes too small my brother(drummer) reckons. Snares too thin, toms are 10 and 14.

Mix wise the kick mic is mixed with a triggered sample, the snare is a dry track mixed with a compressed, eq'd track of the same thing. Small crash and china hits are all supplemented with a sample of the drummers actual cymbal as for some reason they hardly came through the overheads at all.

Any suggestions on what i can do to liven the drums up a bit greg or is a live with it you think?

Heres a section of drums processed solo'd out.

Attachments

• Honour Bound Drum section.mp3
    727.9 KB · Views: 1
Cheers guys. I'm not really sure what i can do with the drums, as you say the room they were recorded in may be hurting it. Snare and toms were all a couple of sizes too small my brother(drummer) reckons. Snares too thin, toms are 10 and 14.

Mix wise the kick mic is mixed with a triggered sample, the snare is a dry track mixed with a compressed, eq'd track of the same thing. Small crash and china hits are all supplemented with a sample of the drummers actual cymbal as for some reason they hardly came through the overheads at all.

Any suggestions on what i can do to liven the drums up a bit greg or is a live with it you think?

You know, if you don't mind, and this may take you a little time, send me the RAW tracks and let me give it a mix. All of them. No processing. As-recorded. Just make sure I can line em all up from the same starting point. Bounce em out as labeled wavs, put em in a zip folder, and upload them into megaupload and send me the link. I think I'm pretty decent at coaxing usable sounds out of marginal tracks. I do it all the time with my own stuff. If I get something good, I'll tell you what I did and you can go from there.

I'll pm you my email address in case I get banned again.

Back