Almost Finished Mixing.... Need Feedback

Tekker

Hi everyone,

Here is a song that we recorded at church during the young adult service (I'm playing the drums) and I've got 10 songs total, which I'll be posting when the CD is finished... But here's one song for critique. I've been working on perfecting the balance and I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get on my two speaker systems, but unfortunately neither one of them are even remotely close to a good mixing environment... So I wanted to get some opinions before I finish it.

I'll probably burn the final mix and start handing CD's out this Saturday night at church, and I wanted to make sure it sounds good on a variety of systems before I start burning CD's.... That's where you kind folks come in! :D

If you guys and gals could take a listen and give some comments I'd really appreciate it! :cool:

Our songs were recorded in Pro Tools using 16 tracks at the church and then I got the tracks and mixed them at home in Samplitude.... Here is a quick "volume only" mix that I did so you can hear how the tracks started out .

Ok, that's all folks! :D
-tkr

Nice Mix!

Tekker,
You have a perfectly good mix going on. For the genre of music (I do some myself) it is right on.
Oh by the way, you play a mean drum set! Drums are my main intrument as well.

I track and mix on Samplitude as well. Was there any problem importing and working with the AIFF files?

I have listened to the song on several small speaker systems and I say you are good to go!

Tom (tmix)

Hi

This is a very good mix and a very good song. All the elements are good (drums, vocals, guitars, bass and keyboad) and we can hear them well. Nice work.

/Jack Real

Thanks for the comments guys! :cool:

The lead singer was over today because he wanted to fix some of the vocal parts and once he heard the massive amounts of bleed through from the monitors which was limiting our ability to edit (since there were some pitchy parts on some of the other songs) we decided to go back down to the church and re-record the vocals. So that's where we have been today and we got all but the last two songs done for the lead singer and we got a couple songs for one of the background vocalists also. It's going to be much better having the ability to adjust the vocals without affecting the rest of the instruments.

Today was interesting because we were down there without the regular sound guy, so we had to figure out how to get our sounds routed to the computer without messing up too much stuff for the main service. :D Then I had to figure out Pro Tools, which I've only done a little bit of tweaking with the Pro Tools Free version.... So now I have had actual recording experience with Pro Tools and all I can say is I really missed not having Samplitude. ;) But I guess from a learning point of view it was cool finally getting to do some work on Pro Tools...

So I guess I won't have it done by tomorrow after all.

-tkr

Last edited:
I was going to listen to your song, but you mentioned the word "church" so many times that I thought maybe it was a code word or rallying cry you were using to call people other than me. I just felt so left out after reading the word "church" so many many times. I guess GOD just doesn't want me to hear this song.

RAMI said:
I was going to listen to your song, but you mentioned the word "church" so many times that I thought maybe it was a code word or rallying cry you were using to call people other than me. I just felt so left out after reading the word "church" so many many times. I guess GOD just doesn't want me to hear this song.
3 mentions of the word "church" (sorry now 4) is going to keep you from listening to a song? Well, if you're that offended by the word "church" (oops sorry) then I guess it's a good thing you didn't actually listen to the song or you probably would have really blown a gasket. :eek:

-tkr

RAMI,
I have an easy solution for your problem, just substitute the word rehearsal for church and all will be fine.

Tom

Back