Allan's Resolve

GONZO-X

Allan's Resolve

http://********.com/songs.aspx?SongID=43872&ArtistID=30211
or
http://tinyurl.com/ysjkj3

a melodic rock instrumental...

Features the custom cream strat with bill lawrence pickups, and a Mesa Boogie Mark IIb 60 watt head, head, into a roland closed back 1x12 cab with a celestion greenback. miced with a combination of sm57's and ADK hamburg mics.
the bass, is an ibanez srx500 thru a sansamp bass di, into a A Designs Audio MP-1 mic preamp, into a dbx compressor, thru a digital convertor, to the recorder.

Drums are by Brent Dacus.

Nice mix!

My son and I like the mix. Any Russ Freeman influence there?

The crescendos are cool, the guitar sound is classic, yet original. We like the drums and, if they are out of the box, they sure don't sound like it.

On a more aesthetic side, we feel the song needs a hook - a recurring melody or phrase to which the listener may look forward to hearing a few times.

Great sounds!!!

Very nice tones and playing.
Mix sounds so clear and separated nicely.
Great tune, the only thing I'd possibly recommend is to maybe thicken up the bass to fill up the low end a bit more.
Again sweet guitar tones, good work :D

I like it, and being a big Holdsworth fan (seen him live 5 times) I knew it was about him before reading your blurb. Very nice piece.

To be honest, though, I was more interested in reading about what motivated you to write it than what gear you used. ;)

Not really my style of music, but no real nits from me. Sounds pretty good. I like the little breakdown about a minute in. Sounds Rush-ish. Maybe the cymbal crashes are a little loud, but that's minor. Overall a good clean mix. Good job. :)

thanks slip!!

one thing i've learned over the years, there's no way to please everyone's expectations of certain things....
whether it be bass, drums, guitars, vox levels, it's always a judgement call, tempered by the good ears of you folks, when you hear obvious problems...

those cymbals, were covered by 2 overheads, and honestly, i think i've got some phasing issues with them..
i experimented with several panning and phase schemes, looking for the most honest sound...

i submixed the drums down, then added them in as overall level on a single stereo fader....
it's very possible, when i did the final bounce for the stereo pair of drums, that something changed slightly.....

finally had some time to write some real responses....

Archiegood
you know, i just saw freeman last summer, play a free outdoor gig...... he's really good! no influence, tho....
the drums, are straight out of a studio, played by a pro named brent dacus.
as far as hooks, this ain't no top 40 tune!!
LOL ;)

hehe....
but i do know what you mean. it's a little too free-form for standard song form...

SnakeDog5050
bass up, check!
i'll be doing some bass track tweakin', to see if i can get more out, without muddying the waters.....

MadAudio
i met holdsworth in '97 or so, shared a beer and some stories with him at the double door inn at charlotte NC......
he was real cool.

i've always been somewhat inspired by his story, and always hoped he'd do well (at least, be able to live comfortable!)

his place in history is pretty well set.......
gear, ah well, folks that hang at bbs like this typically wanna know stuff like that.... i use pretty cheap stuff (out of necessity) so i like folks to know they can make decent sounding recordings with just about anything they have....

Another excellent tune Mr Gonzo-X. You continue to impress with your tone and playing. Some of the best stuff we get on this board. And yes, I get some Rush feel out of this (sorry I don't know Allan Holdsworth at all)...

:cool::D:cool::D

thanks ido!!!

yep, holdsworth's been around since at least 1974 (soft machine) and has played with a lot of fusion heavy's til he started doing his own thing about '82 or so....

you can go to utoob and find some cool vids, if you're interested...

there would defintely be more of a 'Rush' influence here, than holdsworth...
people do get confused, thinking i'm trying to play in the holdsworth style, but that is not the case.
i wouldn't bother even attempting!
LOL

Back