ALL Aboard!!!! Ozzy cover

Wireneck

Alright I know that most of you guys don't really like wasting your time checking out cover songs in the clinic. I feel the same way the majority of the time. So here is my disclaimer before anyone trys to assault me with "you should spend more time developing your own material and quit wasting your time with covers".
I got with some friends earlier this year and started a 80's early 90's cover band to make some extra cash. We managed to throw together a demo after about a month of practicing just so we would have something to send to clubs. Right after we did the demo things got hectic with our "real" bands again and we ditched the cover band before we ever really got anything started. Since then my real band has broken up so i broke out the coverband Adat tapes so i could practice on some mixes.
Any mix advice or comments are appreciated. This is only a clip because we didn't record entire songs, we just wanted something someone booking bands could flip through and hear that we didn't totally suck ass lol.

The song is "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3299&alid=-1

Damn! the guitars are dead on. Somebody is very skilled. This is no easy song to sing and perform. Ozzy has a Hight range. Sadly the vocalist kinda sounds Like Weird Al at times. I think if your doing covers you dont always have to sound like the orginal singer. If you sing better doing it your way that better.
Nice cover.. the guitars were almost dead accurate!

Tjohnston-

thanks for the listen man. I tried to get the guitars as close as I could but im by far no Randy Rhoads.
"Sadly the vocalist kinda sounds Like Weird Al at times". Thats pretty funny man, i never really thought about it but he kind of does have a few places that sound like weird al on this. The vocalist on this cover is actually the vocalist from my other band Wireneck. If you listened to any of those songs on the nowhere site, or have heard them in the clinic before you can see that this stuff was a far departure from the style we normally played.
Thanks again for the compliments and the listen.

fattmusiek-

we did a demo of about 20 cover songs, we knew that a club owner wouldn't sit and listen through each song completely (and that we didn't have enough time to do complete recordings of all the covers) so we decided to go with doing small sections of the songs. The whole thing was thrown together pretty quickly, we just set up one day and played live to get the majority of the tracks. Then we went back and cleaned up/fixed the things that had minor issues.
Thanks for listening.

Hey Wireneck,
Nice cover man. I dont think there's anything wrong w/ covers. the only thing i dont like about em is when they are covered verbatim (like this one is) you are directly compared to the original, and when covering Randy, etc. ...thats putting your nuts on the block:D I like the R. guits in this, youve nailed that brit metal tone pretty well. The vocs are a little sing songy for ozzy (there i go making that damn comparison:rolleyes: ) but Im guessing they're fine for the purpose you intend. Nice man!

Yeah, this is freaking awesome!

That solo needs to come up though. It sounds like you nailed it dead on, but it was buried a little. ALL the guitars sound perfect.

guernica- I guess you see things a little differently than me. I think trying to come up with unique versions of covers or different arrangements of other peoples songs is a bigger waste of time than just going at it head on. I think either way your going to get compared to the original or you will get the prick who says "well they didn't play it like the original because they couldn't pull it off" were all musicians lol, we know how it is. You can't really win in these types of situations. Thanks for your input and the listen.
Dethska-ill check the level of the solo again, but it sounded pretty out front on the systems i listened on. Thanks for the listen man.

that was pretty cool.. nice job on the solo.. it did seem a little low.. whenever I hear a band do crazy train or paranoid, I always wonder why everyone picks these same 2 songs.. at least the solo was good.. it's like adding insult to injury when the solo is horrible.. in my last band we used to play 'hand of doom.' (that's a Black Sabbath song)

B. Sabbath-

In our situation we just did crazy train because almost everyone knows that song. If it were up to me it would have been over the mountain, diary of a madman, or maybe even No More tears but how many people who don't listen to alot of rock would know those songs?
Hand of doom is a cool song, i would like to do children of the grave or fairies wear boots some time. Thanks again for the listen sam.

Nice guitar work!

We are teaching my son this one--- When he asked Matt to teach him this one -- we were suprised he wanted to learn it as it is a hard one and he is 12.

I kinda like the wierd Al twist on the vocs---

After reading the "Weird Al" comments I was expecting a lot worse from the singer. I think he does an exellent job.
Oh yeah, let me be the first to mention how great those guitars sound. Nice work on that solo.

betty-thanks for the listen and compliments. Thats great that your son is learning to play some serious metal. Most kids at that age are caught up in the whole 1 string detuned im a korn rip off Nu-metal phase.
Layne - thanks for listeing. I appreciate the compliments as well.

I'll just chmie in with the others.. frikken AWESOME guitars!

My only beef with the mix is the bass... A bit too muddy to blend in just right.. Maybe toy a bit with EQ cut around 2-300 Hz.. maybe...

did I say A W E S O M E guitars?

thanks for the listen Meshugga

i do what i can with the guitars. Ill mess around with the bass sound some more and see what happens. Thanks again

Back