An acoustical tune

Radiohead0709

This is the first one I've done with vocals in a long time, still trying to find my comfort zone. The bass came out heavy in some spots, and I'm trying to figure out why. I rolled off on the 80hz and below to remove some of the rumble, but it seems some still got through anyways.

Well, hope you guys enjoy listening. Any advice is welcome, and much appreciated

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3685546&q=hi

Last edited:
Nice tune man....vocals are good, but a bit too quiet for me. :D I don't think the bass is too much, but if you want, try a multiband compressor on it, and only compress the real low freq's that you want to get rid of. A regular compressor might work, if you can limit it to the particular freq's. I think getting the vox a bit louder, would help the overall dynamics of the tune. Let them take over some area, and the music surround them.

Cool tune man. :cool: :D

Thanks for the comment Dogman, I had actually turned the vocals down when I mixed because I was afraid of them overpowering the rest of the music. I'll see what I can do to bring them up a bit and surround the vocal track with the rest of the music. Now that I listen on my computer speakers the bass seems to be less boomy than it sounded on the recording machine. I may have to lift my monitors off the table top to stop them from vibrating to get a more accurate monitor sound. Again,thanks for the listen and the advice!

i agree, i would bring the vocals up. i personally would also pan the bass a little less to the right... but that's a preference thing, it just seems like the guitar is all alone in the left. did you do the acoustic guitar with direct input??? nice voice. i really like the rich low quality.

Jacob

Jacob,

I'll keep that in mind about the bass on the right and guitar panned to the left. That's sort of my default with recording electric stuff, so I'm still experimenting with what I like best whilst recording and mixing an acoustic arrangement. The guitar is recorded direct, I prefer to mike the acoustic, but when I laid this down I was too lazy to set up the mike. Thanks for the compliment on the vocals, it's nice to hear that someone likes the style.

Definitely turn up the vox at least a good 4db or more I'd say. This is rhythm guitar overpowering the song. :)

Nice tune and nice playing. Very weird strumming pattern 'coz I'm not used to playing acoustic. I like it.

Personally I'd raise the bass a little too. Not too boomy, but just a little more separate from the guitars. How to do that, I don't know!

:)

Nice.

Cool song, enjoyed this a bunch ;)
You should sing more, sounds good!
On my system anyway (low quality system) sounds like you have some frequency fighting in there between the 3 instruments at times. Sounds like you could separate things up a bit more and create more space with EQ.
Here's a guess at advice, I could be way off :confused:
Bring up the vox some.
Compress bass and lower it via EQ at 250-400 hz for less rumble
EQ acoustic lead up a tad at 4Hz, lower at 1.5Hz and add a little verb
EQ acoustic rhythm up at 1.5Hz and lower at 4Hz, lower overall volume a tad.
Overall very engaging track :)

Vocal's really nice on this. Rhythm gtr's perfect for the vocal but you've GOT to use a mic next time! If it were mine I'd start the song just a couple bars before the vocal starts and leave off the long intro. Once the vocal starts, the lead gtr on the right is doing some interesting lines but it sounds naked way over there so far from the other guitar. I'd pull the gtrs in a little closer to center, put a short dark verb and maybe a subtle 200 MS slapback delay on the lead guitar. Oh yeah, and USE A MIC!!!!!!!! :D

Nice song and performance.

Tim

Back