3 New Songs, Mood Rock, Funk, and Slightly Prog rock

undrgrnd studio

I have posted in the past about the two songs on this page labeled manic depression.mp3 and also last day of the month.mp3, although the two version up there now are better mixes and higher quality compression.

http://members.cox.net/dsmall3/dans_mp3s.htm

But I just put up three new songs one I recorded two weeks ago called The Claim.mp3, one called C funk.mp3 which is instrumental until I finish it, and a collaboration between me and a friend of mine called New Years.mp3. Most of the track takes are finished, although you may hear an error or two if you listen carefully, especially on New Years cause I played the drums on that as well, but I am not a drummer.

Try out the song The Claim and let me know what you think. Comments on artistic quality, sound quality, technical musicianship, songwriting skills, even recording quality would all be helpful. The transfer rate is fast at first but slows down, although they still should download in 1-5 minutes depending on your connection. I would really appreciate it if you would listen, I worked hard on them. Thanks!

Oh PS I do all the recording at home in an amateur studio I have been setting up. Everything you hear is me overdubbed, except on New Years which is my friend Jim playing Bass and he wrote the lyrics.

Listened to the Claim, and thougt it is a good tune. Nice sounds going on. Very cool, hypnotic vibe. Good recording quality. Nice mix.
Ed

cool

Dogman said:
Listened to the Claim, and thougt it is a good tune. Nice sounds going on. Very cool, hypnotic vibe. Good recording quality. Nice mix.
Ed
And I was waiting for a negative response. Thanks for the compliments. I would be happy to listen to some of your stuff if you need a critical ear as well. LMK. dsmall3@cox.net

Thanks. Here's a link to a cover I did.

It's Mr. Fantasy by Traffic. Drums are just a loop, and I've been working on putting some better ones together, but haven't really gotten there yet.

Like to hear what you say. I know it needs work, as I am still learning how to mix. I wondered why 4 tracks, all panned down the center didn't work so well. Lot's to learn.
Thanks.
Ed

listening to claim.
some wierd thing happening in the vox
phazeing?
wierd stereo field stuff.
sounds like you recorded a lot of it a little distorted.
very chill song.

rockin

Is that all you overdubbed? Its hard to make a bunch of individual track takes sound like a whole band, but it works here.

My take on the recording and mix is:

The frequency is too high. The lead guitar and the rythm guitars are to trebly and tinny especially that beginning guitar intro. Add a little more low and mid and turn the high down only like one peg. The added lows and mids will take care of it. The intro guitar effect is a little overdonw, meaning that you could probably turn the presence down or whatever effect it is that you are using. I hear more effect than i do actual guitar if you know what I mean. The bass guiar could come up a little in the mix. Vocals sound right. Just keep recording and you will improve your technique. The actual musicianship sounds great though.

giraffe said:
listening to claim.
some wierd thing happening in the vox
phazeing?
wierd stereo field stuff.
sounds like you recorded a lot of it a little distorted.
very chill song.
The vocals were done on two tracks. One is a bit compressed and the other has a vox effect on it. I do hear the phasing though, I think I will pan each vocal a little harder to L and R and see how it sounds. You're right though.

undrgrnd studio said:
Is that all you overdubbed? Its hard to make a bunch of individual track takes sound like a whole band, but it works here.

My take on the recording and mix is:

The frequency is too high. The lead guitar and the rythm guitars are to trebly and tinny especially that beginning guitar intro. Add a little more low and mid and turn the high down only like one peg. The added lows and mids will take care of it. The intro guitar effect is a little overdonw, meaning that you could probably turn the presence down or whatever effect it is that you are using. I hear more effect than i do actual guitar if you know what I mean. The bass guiar could come up a little in the mix. Vocals sound right. Just keep recording and you will improve your technique. The actual musicianship sounds great though.

Thanks for the input. I'll try and do some stuff with eq. I need to learn that, as I don't use it too much.
Yeah, everything is me, overdubbed.

I'll try and take some of the highs out.
Thanks again.
Ed :)

Back