2 songs for review

I liked both of them but I thought "Down" came out better.
It made me think about killing myself. If that was your intention- you've succeeded. :)
Sorry to report that the selection of guitar tones in "Hazel" grated on me in painful fashion. Either tone would succeed in short sections, with some other tone than that applied to the rest of the track.
They both seemed to have blips. I dunno- maybe the encoding?

nice songs....and the vocals were really good...but, yeah, blip city on both....tone on "Hazel" guitars mentioned above was a bit grating, yes....drums could be more up front on both...I liked the bass sound......gibs

Listened to both tunes. I liked the guitars just fine. The vocal(s) on the other hand sounded a little too present as opposed to the insruments. Maybe some reverb?

Thanks, all!

Thanks all for your input/advice regarding my mp3's. It's really helping me to re-shape my sound a little, as well as my recording/mixing procedures. If I ever make it big (which I'm starting to think I don't) I'll send you all your consultant's fee.

I listened to Hazel. I also thought there's a little too much fuzz on the guitar. I would also back them off a little and bring the drums way up. I thought the vocal presence was about right. You certainly don't want it lost in the mix, as so often happens in home recording projects. From a songwriting perspective, you might want to vary the intro sections a little more and add a bridge or something. I liked it though.

I'm listening to Hazel now. I don't think you should change the guitars at all, but as Slim said, the drums really need to come up. I like the song...it has a very Scarey Monsters feel. You might consider an interesting guitar movement instead of the stock solo though...but your songs are your songs. Bummer about all the dropouts, do you know what happened?

Now I'm listening to Down. Some serious dropouts in this mp3 too. This song is also very cool...sort of a modern blue oyster. The drums again need to come up. Good use of panning to seperate the dual guitar parts.

All in all the weakest link is the nasty dropouts. Good job!

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks, S2K

I've heard the dropouts recently, and I really don't know what the problem could be...I basically burned a CD from my Tascam 488 master tape, which sounded really good, and then I converted to mp3 using MusicMatch Jukebox ( the $29.95 version). Is there a better downloadable encoder? Help! Personally, I turn a song off if it sounds like shit, even if it's a good song.

You are right about turning a song off that has sound issues, even a good song. I listened to Hazel, and I noticed a few glitches in the sound, but it didn't distract me from listening to the song. I do like the fuzz on the guitar tone, but I think it's something that people will either like or find grating... which isn't bad necessarily, it just might alienate some people from otherwise liking the song. What mic did you use to record the vocals? Seems to me that the level in the mix is about right, but they sound kinda in a well compared to the rest of the track. Not bad, but enough for me to notice. I like the song.

Hey Groogle

I checked out your tunes. In Hazel, the vocals sounded a little 'on top of the mix', the mic actually sounded good but it just sounded a little different from the rest of the song. The guitar work was cool and I liked the overall vibe of the tune.

Down - Cool tune, nice guitar work again. I liked it!

Ray J

Thanx, JX, RJ

I'm gonna use an SM57 for vocals on my next 2 songs...have been using an SM58. This site is so awesome!!! Where else on the stinking web can you get professional advice like this?

Back