1st mix on a Roland VS-2480

apush

This is the most complicated piece of equipment I have encountered so far since I started recording. Every button has three functions(piece of shit) and they aren't in any logical place.

Anyways, this is my first attempt to mix on a Roland VS-2480:

A friend of mine bought this to make demoes of his band on. He tracked everything when I wasn't there. I only mixed it.

POD Pro on all guitars
Bass POD pro on bass
Sm57 on toms and snare
Beta 52 on Kick
AT4047's as overheads
AT4047 for vox

Note: I really hate the guitar sound he is getting out of the POD. He has a Triple Rec but liked this sound better(why?). The mids are completley scooped and he tracked with effects and lots of them. There was no convincing him otherwise, I tried.

What can I do to improve this mix without re-tracking?
Any tips are appreciated. Thanks

Vox are not nearly bright enough. Could be a compressor, could be the effect. Regardless, it needs more high end. You are running everything at the same EQ peaks and they are blending together too much. Re-EQ the vox bigtime, as well as a few adjustments for separation on the instruments.

Pete

Any thoughts on specific freqs to seperate the instruments more. I think a lot of the problem is that there isn't much energy in the midrange because of the scooped guitars. I tried pulling 200hz out of the guitars and kick to clean up some of the low end mess. But it seems to have given the guitars a brittle tone. There is way too much distortion on the gits, aswell. perhaps that's what causing the insruments to blend.

I'll try cutting some low end out of the vox, too (maybe 70-300hz?).

Thanks for the help.

Damn. I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I'm listening through laptop speakers and headphones. I still have to learn these "monitors" to provide constructive criticism.

That being said, you could try pulling 5-7kHz or even up to 10kHz out of the guitars to give vox more prominence in that area while reducing the brittle tone of the guitar. You could also try changing your guitar reduction from 200Hz to 100Hz to maintain some of the fullness while avoiding the boominess. Don't get too drastic with the eq. Your statement about the guitars becoming brittle hints of overcompensating with the eq.

Matt

Back