1st MIX dont hit, explain!

portefian

Hello i'm writing first time here and I also want to show U my 1st mix.
I know it's far from being OK but I get to that point where my ears wont speak to me anymore so I need yours :)

If someone would want to show me what can be done with that tracks I can upload a multitrack folder.

View attachment Rotacja - RAK mp3 48kHz.mp3

ps how to set the online listening istead of downloading?

Last edited:
You can always upload your song to Soundcloud and post a link to the stream. The beginning reminds me a bit of Iggy. The mix sounds muddy, first and foremost. Guitars and bass are dominating your drums and vocals. Personally, I'd rebuild from the bottom up--get your drums, bass, and vocals working together, then bring up the guitars to taste.

In dealing with mud, first order of business is get your levels sorted, bottom up. Mute the guitars then balance drums, bass and vocals. If you're hearing mud, it can only be the bass. You can high pass a bass at 50Hz and it's worth doing. Too much low mid on the bass? Take some off. Then bring up the guitars. If you weren't hearing mud before and are hearing it now--well, you know where it's from. Have you got a guitar playing in the same register as the bass? Lower it and/or pan it out. Try high-passing the guitar at 100-150Hz. Just work through your mix step by step, isolate problems, fix, repeat.

If you're using Reaper there's a preset in ReaEQ called Mud Free. It's a preset & not fabulous but it'll point to the areas you need to address across bass & guitars.
Sound a little like Plastic Bertrand found modern hard rock.
Try getting the snare, vocal & solo all at the same volume.

Back