Yahama 01V? (makin dreams come true)

ruebarb

Well, like Sonusman, I seem to have come into a tiny bit of good fortune in the coming months, and I have a lot of discretionary income in the next few months. (translation: - High paying job with no wife/kids/exwife/ to support) - I've been blessed

Now, I have an Alesis XT20 I'm pulling out of a "community" studio and building a new one around it. I had a friend who used a Yahama 01V and recommended I buy one. I think I need a special add-on card for the ADAT I/O and Digital audio transfer, but I'm not sure. Anyway, has anyone used one? A search on the archives turned up nothing, but maybe I did something wrong. I'm especially curious about the effects (quality) as I might not invest so much in rack mounted processors if the digital board is good.

RB

OK. The o1v was the one of the best investments of my music gear. I have it, and the adat I/O card (its 319$ Canadian so like 2$ american ;) and it goes into my computer instead of an adat, but they do the same thing. I have an Alesis Adat Edit sound card which just has 8 channels of adat in/out which is all the Adat Option card for the O1v has. I bought mine used too though so it was an even better investment saving me about $700. The FX are decent, but i personally am not a big fan of digital reverbs and such. But they are just as good as anything you would by for up to $700. The gates work very nicely. The comp is usable...but it can get harsh and noticable( i also cant us it well =). I really like the idea of the Parametric EQ...but since i only record with my board i never use them. The preamps suck in my opinion. Well..not suck..just not good. Ok they suck. NOISE. But i use different preamps. The moterized faders are a trip and work really well with the music program for automation. I looked for months before i bought it. I was going to get a Mackie 1604 but this was the same price so i scooped it up. oh..and the trem effect is amazing. I love it...Some of the FX kick ass....some, like the amp sim, suck unless using them for an alterintive reason (i dont mean alternitive music) The display is adequately big because your not doing TOO much with it...its a good size. Also i like how they keep the pans physical unlike the tascam board. ANd the eq is the same way..with pots. But you only have one for all 14 channels and have to hit a selection button change o a different channel. i rag on my machine a bit sometimes...but for the price...i REALL shouldnt be bitching...its god damn amazing man. Very clean. Pretty user friendly. If you have any questions ask me....ive used almost every option on the O1v.
My praise to the O1v.
Peace, love and dog biscuits.

At first I was going to buy a cheap analog mixing console and some FX processors separate. Fortunately I didn't. I've had my 01V about 1,5 years and I'm just happy about it. With ADAT you'll need MY8-AT option card.

FX processors are partly the same design than Yamaha ProR3 and REV500. Internal FX processors of 01V are the only FX processors I'm using (Except an external mastering processor) and I think they are really good. Only effects I don't like are amplifier simulation and distortion effects. (I don't play guitar myself, so I probably just cannot use those effects properly...)
You can also use two external stereo FX processors because of 01V's 4 assignable analog AUX outputs. You can also route internal effects of 01V to these outputs.
Also dynamics processors seems to be workin very well.

Some people don't like the idea "less buttons, more menus" but I think button and menu design of 01V works really well. E.g. If you want to route signal to the AUX busses of 01V you just press the AUX button and motorized faders move to their AUX volume positions and you'll get the needed information on display.

Finally my opinion is that Yamaha 01V is worth every penny.

Back