Why do i feel like im missing out on the world?!

LordSire

Because i cant get this damn wrapper shit to work for my cool edit, i feel like im missing out on a whole 'nother planet not being able to experiment with all these free vst plug-ins!!!! I just read the thread about the link that metalhead put up for the SSL, and im hella' jealous about it!

I've been trying the "crapper" thing for about a month now, and no love. So i just said fuck it before i wreck my home! But i feel so LIMITED being able to only use dx. Especially when it seems that the only "compressor" i have is not even a compressor at all. I use the "dynamics" in my sound forge plug (sony), or the dynamics processing in my cool edit interface, and for what i shoot after in the genre of music im dealing with (hip-hop, r&b, popular, etc.) when i try to use the settings i've been given as starting points, (such as clones' write up on compression, he gives some "rule of thumb" ratios to play with) I start to get the crappiest distortion possible. Like adjusting to anything higher than 3.1 there is NOOOOOO way! I mean, i can DO it. But all the smoothness and clarity (mainly in vocals) deteriorates. Hell! I havent been able to use ANYTHING else to be able to have an opinion, let alone compare and contrast. I feel "boxed-in". No pun intended.

Am i like encino man just released from a block of ice or something? Or am i right in saying that THERE ARE NO FREE PLUGS for dx format? I NEVER see a link for dx anything! Not even to BUY some shit! Is dx effects like extinct or something and i'm just late to the party as usual and dont know it?

Any comments?

Man, anything that requires a "wrapper", I'd move on to something else in a heartbeat if it doesn't have built-in native support for VST's. I started off with CoolEdit back in '97 but graduated to something better. As a summed .wav file editor (i.e cutting, splicing and such), Cool Edit is alright at best but there's much more robust applications out for multitracking and/or mixing down such as the free Reaper or the uber-affordable N-track Studio. Maybe you've outgrown CE's abilities so save yourself the stress cuz it's probably time to step up to something else if it's causing you this much trouble.

Back