Whole CD Volume raise. Self or tech?

wiskylima

I have a standalone home audio recorder (Phillips) than can only use the compact disc digital audio CDRs. I made a master CD of my music this way and am now in the process of dupeing.

Itis gonna cost me $65 to have an engineer copy my master to the "market standard" CD for mass duplication. This seems cheap and great except I've run into the problem of volume. The overall volume needs to be higher. I'm told this requires level I mastering at $175/hr.

Can I reproduce the new CD with a raised volume to submit for duping MYSELF?

Hints? Tips? Thanks Y'all

:)
Wendy

wiskylima said:
Iti s gonna cost me $65 to have an engineer copy my master to the "market standard" CD for mass duplication.

Is "market standard" another term for Glass Master?????

Anyways to my understanding (unless i am missing the whole point here :) ) you just need to raise the over all left right levels on your 2 track master, I dont see a need to pay a mastering engineer to do that for you. It seems like you could just make another master CD of your music with levels slightly raised.

In my past experience I have been able to take my master CDR, DAT, or BETA SP format to the local duplication outlet (MMS or PUNCH MEDIA, southern ontario) and get duplications for a cost. Thats it.
I could be wrong here so dont take my full word on things.

mind if I ask where you are going for the dupieng??????

saunavation Audio Productions

It might work to rip the audio files from the CD to your computer and raising the volume in your DAW, or stereo .wav editor (e.g. Sound Forge, Cool Edit, WaveLab). If you think, by doing this, you'll create clipping in your songs, most of these programs havebrick wall limiters. You can use these plugins to bring down the volume of the most extreme peaks so that you can raise the volume of the entire song without clipping. Don't overdo this, tho! It's very easy to make your song sound squished (although, for some songs, this could be a good thing.)

I too have the Philips burner. Just a tip....

You can have the input level hot enough to where the orange (clip) LEDs are pegged without actually clipping. Just make sure you can still see the blue barely flashing from time to time.

This works if your song is fairly consistant level wise. If you peak and valley a lot dynamically, obviously you'd want to set your hottest levels to the description above. You may or may not have known that, but thought I'd tell ya anyway.

Check out www.natlcass.com.

I don't know how good the quality of their work is, but they are hands down the cheapest duplicator I have found yet. They will even send you a finished copy of your CD (shrink wrap & color insert included) BEFORE they mass produce it for you so you know you're getting what you want.

100 CDs: $299.00

Worth a look.

Drummerbones

Does anyone use T-Racks software?

I have had some success with it to make my finished songs in wav format sound pretty good.

I know its easy to up the volume levels with the eq and compressor, but its easy to over do things like someone else posted.

john

Back