Where to pan layered sounds?

walshi

Hi all,

Warning newbie alert!!

I am wondering where abouts you guys pan any layered sounds that you have? In my case I have 6 layered acoustic guitars. I want a nice "airey" strumming sound kinda like a bunch of 12 strings. Do I pan, say, two on the extremes, another two say, 3 and 9 oclock and the last two say 2 and 10 oclock? These aren't "copied" duplicate tracks either they were all recorded.

Any thoughts would be useful, also any ideas of possible fx too.

You're on the right track. I'd also add that I'd only chorus and delay 2 of the guits, if at all- probably the ones at 3 and 9. Too much juice with that many tracks and you'll end up with a lot of mush!

I might run them all through the same reverb, though, if they aren't room miced guitars. I like to add some room sound to my close miced guitars- though with 6 tracks I'd be careful to use a very light touch. Maybe leave 2 of them (the 10 and 2?) un-verbed just to maintain some clarity.

Take care,
Chris

Wow!

I'd not dare to use so many acoustic guitars... Do they all play the same or different stuff?

The compression (and probably blending with the original track) is VERY important IMO, as you'll otherwise surely end up with a totally messed up stereo image... Just like being bounced through a circle of manic guitarists ;)

When using effects, I'd not use a chorus or only on some guitars as suggested, you'll have a lot of this effect by the guitars themselves. I'd also be VERY careful with verbs. IMO only early reflections, you might easily end up with VERY muddy sound.

You have to roll off the low ends, as otherwise you'l have a rumbling and mumbling something in the middle of your circle :D

Hope I could help you...

Axel

why would you put a chorus effect on 6 individually recorded guitars? wouldn't the 6 guitars be a chorus unto themselves?

i'm not saying you shouldn't, i'm honestly asking why you would.

i understand adding reverb to put the guitars in the same 'room'. especially since we all try to record in an acoustically dry environment.

Back