Waves C4 sucks!

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Well, I mean it sounds good but it sucks the juice out of my mixes.

I've been working on a couple mixes in Acid Pro and they began to have really choppy playback to the point where I couldn't even monitor what I was doing. I tried bypassing all the effects, but nothing worked. I could render the .wav file just fine, but realtime playback was useless.

Finally I narrowed it down to the tracks where I was using the Waves C4 as a high quality track compressor/EQ. Even when bypassed it still reeked havoc with my playback. I was forced to preprocess the C4 on each these files in my wave editor and remove it from the track effects loop in Acid. Now everything is fine.

Is it just Acid, or has anyone else had this issue with the C4?

Btw, I'm running an 800MHz PIII with 384M RAM and the CPU usage was showing about 35% when this was occurring.

barefoot

Yeah, pretty much all waves plugins are CPU hogs but they sure sound great! I'm running a P3 750 I think it's time to upgrade. I've seen all kinds of specials on 1.6 motherboards and processors,they're pretty cheap these days.

But Joe, Barefoot said his CPU usage was about 35% - he shouldn't have to upgrade his processor. Just wanted to be smart-ass, I have no solution to the problem. :p

Well, I mean it sounds good but it sucks the juice out of my mixes.

C4 is a great tool.

When you apply processing, do you leave some headroom ?
When you mix two digital signals of same levels, resulting mix level will be +3dB louder.

Do you have the latest version? I know Waves released an optimized (for Pentiums!) version of the C4 and RenVerb. I only have RVerb but when I upgraded, I was actually able to use a RenVerb on an insert on my lowly PIII 450. Before the upgrade, my playback would choke as well. I'm sure that the C4 would be improved as well.
To download, go to the Waves download page and look for the zip file. You'll want to back up the original .dll file and then stick the new one in your Waves plug-in folder.
Good luck!

gordone said:
Do you have the latest version? I know Waves released an optimized (for Pentiums!) version of the C4 and RenVerb...
I haven't installed the optimization, but I'll give it a try. It's probably just the ticket!
Thanks gordone:D
jet-rocker said:
Try the Ultrafunk compressor.Only 50 bucks, and works great. Easy on the CPU.
I haven't used this one, but it's capabilities are not comparable to a multi-band compressor.

barefoot

OK, I misread your original post. I dont have Acid, I run cubase. In cubase there's a buffer setting that needs to be jacked up when I start running multiple effects and VST instruments. I'm sure Acid has a similar feature. A couple of other options, Defrag, Disk Scan or sometimes reinstalling a program helps.

Back