vocal mixing question

Ricky Vodka

we just recently began mixing our first songs for our demo. one of the problems that i'm noticing is that the vox seem to be "on top" of the track. Maybe not that they're too loud, but they don't seem to fit in right. Any idea what the problem could be?

It could be a # of things

Are you applying dynamic processors correctly ?
Does it need compression?
Are you compressing enough?
Are you applying Reverb/delay correctly?
Is the predelay set correctly?
Have you applied any EQ to the return of the effect?
Does the type of room help it blend or the opposite?
Is the decay set correctly?
Are you setting the overall volume correctly?
Is the delay if used set in time with the tempo?
Have you Eq'ed it and turned it into a thorn?

First tell me what you DID do then lets see.......

well, we had the tracks recorded and wanted three for a short demo to pass out at a big radio show. the engineer at the studio mixed them for us and we picked them up (we weren't present when he mixed). It's possible that since he only had an hour he couldn't get it good enough.

Is there any way I could send you an mp3 sample (a few seconds long) song you can get an idea of what I'm talking about

Sounds like a combination of:

•Vocal track mixed too loud
•Vocal track overcompressed
•Ambient treatment of rhythm tracks (reverbs, delays) doesn't fit with treatment of vocal tracks, giving illusion that the vocal was recorded in a different universe.

Suggestions:

•Remix
•If you can't, see if the track can handle the addition of bit of overall reverb to try and "glue" it together... it will give all the tracks a common ambient reference.

Welcome to our cozy community, Mr. Vodka! I've enjoyed your family's fine beverage for many years.

Please feel free to post a link to an mp3 here and we'll try to offer a diagnosis. However, as littledog pointed out, unless you have the individual tracks available for remix, your options will be rather limited. I gather you went to a pro studio, and that's a good thing. A lot of people underestimate how much time they'll need to get the mix right, though.

If you plan to remix to correct the problems, I'd suggest you reread Shailat's post. Man knows his stuff. If you read it, but can't make head or tail of it, go find Sonusman's Secrets of Mixing thread. Hell, go find it anyway. It's a godsend. Use the search function. It's here in the Mixing/Mastering section.
-kent

I have a problem with mp3's as I cant hear it other then on my old 133 PC - internet computer with $12 monitors:eek: and I cant transfer it to another media as my Zip drive died a few months back:eek:

If you want to send me a cd I'll give it it a serious listen.

Back