using plugin compressor as subsitute for hardware compressor in vocal chain?in AA3

statixx

Ok let me first explain that I was looking into getting a golden age projects pre 73....And I was thinking that I would need a budget compressor like a rnc or something to track vocals with....Also let me say im only tracking vocals soley....Nothing else..i use adobe audition 3...Someone suggested to me instead of getting a out board compressor that if I had some good compressor plugins(which I do waves ssl api)that I could set up a bus or aux track and record it with the compression plugin....The idea is that I want the compressor to work while tracking(during recording mode) so that it will smooth out dynmic spikes* while recording....Jus like a hardware compressor would....Can someone explain in easiest details possible how to do this in adobe audition* *3? When ever ive tried to do this....I still get a wave form with spikes all over indicating the compressor didnt work while recording it only like reads it....How do I write the compression plugin to the waveform as it is being recorded??? I hope this makes sense...I tried to explain in full detail...Any help greatly appriciated. Cheers!* * *

There is little to be gained applying software comp during recording. The whole strength of doing it at mix down regardless of plugs or hardware is dialing in an optimum setting at the leisure and in the final context of the mix.
The advantages of tracking with hardware would be whatever unique trait a particular piece brings that the software might not, committing to getting closer to the finished sound early on -and hopefully without screwing up the take in the process. Thus a possible side effect (in that method) might be that you may want to be a little more conservative in the tracking side (better too little that too much), and still have to do a finish' pass again at mix down to boot.

....I still get a wave form with spikes all over indicating the compressor didnt work while recording it only like reads it..
In re-reading your post it occurs you may not understand (apologies if not) that it can not smooth' the recorded wave because it is too late- The track is already recorded. It can only affect playback.
It also possible it has acted on it and looking at the wave may not necessarily reveal the compression you’ve set at all.

I have AA version 2 and as far as I can see, it cannot be done. Unless they have added that as a new feature in version 3, it probably cannot either.

This is because the incoming signal gets recorded direct-to-disc before it routes through the mixer (where you apply the plug-ins.)

What Mixsit is trying to tell you is...that it is a bad idea, (unless you are very experienced with a compressor.) If you apply compression on the way in, you are forever stuck with that one compression setting. If you apply compression after recording, then you have the luxury of infinite undo and re-do's until you have it sounding its best.

If your transient peaks are occasionally pegging the meters in AA then you are recording too hot. Turn down the preamp gain (or output if you have it) or back slightly away from the mic. Proximity effect can quickly overload the level.

Last edited:
Someone suggested to me instead of getting a out board compressor that if I had some good compressor plugins(which I do waves ssl api)that I could set up a bus or aux track and record it with the compression plugin....

There's no reason this can't be done if you have your incoming mic channel in pre fader and buss the compressed signal to another track to which you record and monitor.

The only problem you might run into is latency.

Although the RNC might be the better route to go if you want to control dynamics on the incoming signal, It would be interested to hear how this works out for you.

There's no reason this can't be done if you have your incoming mic channel in pre fader and buss the compressed signal to another track to which you record and monitor.

Won't work. I don't know about version 3, but in 2 you cannot choose a "bus" or even another track as a signal source to record. When arming a second track to record, only hardware devices can be selected.

(If version 3 allows this, then I will apologize and shut up. Can anyone confirm this?)

Won't work. I don't know about version 3, but in 2 you cannot choose a "bus" or even another track as a signal source to record. When arming a second track to record, only hardware devices can be selected.

I've never used the program AA3, but was thinking this is a simple function that most daw's would be able to perform.

Back