Using Limiter on Dialogue

MartinQ

Hello

I am trying to start practicing recording dialogue for radio commercials not to sell, but to basically not forget how to use pro tools because I have the memory of a gold fish.

I recorded the dialogue going through a compressor and i've created a master track and I threw a limiter onto the master track and set it for a fast attack and release to give it that pumping and breathing sound. I'm just not 100% if i'm using the limiter part of it correctly. According to FCC regulations broadcast audio can't exceed 0vu and that's why i'm using the limiter.

How Exactly would I set up the limiter to make sure I don't exceed that.
Thanks and sorry for the newbish question!

According to FCC regulations broadcast audio can't exceed 0vu and that's why i'm using the limiter.

How Exactly would I set up the limiter to make sure I don't exceed that.
Thanks and sorry for the newbish question!
Unless you're running the broadcast transmitter at the radio station, there's not much for you to do about that. The radio station will use it's own limiting on the signal going into the transmitter to ensure it follows the 0VU transmission regulation.

Your concern is more about clarity and understandability. You can use compression and limiting on the recording to give your recording an even audio level and sound and to help ensure that you have a minimum of dynamic range (without it being so compressed that it sounds like crap) so that when the radio station peaks your signal at 0VU, your average volume will remain as close to 0VU as sensible.

G.

Back