upgrading studio with 1500 budget...help!!

Cdacoron

hey guys, im plannin to upgrade my studio with 1500 budget,...main purpose of increasing mixing efficiency and processing power. i have in mind buying the UAD-1 power plugs to increase the efficiency of my computer in addition to buying more studio foam to improve room acoustics.

Now, with the UAD-1 plugs, i kinda had in mind getting the studio pak. but i was also thinkin of getting 2 cards to increase the efficiency of the plugs through uad-1. Is it better to just get the project pak + an extra card? are the plugs given in the project pak good quality (i heard they are)? or am i fine with one card (studio pak)+ extra plugs. i guess my main purpose of gettin the the UAD-1 is mainly for the high quality EQ's and Compression without killing my processing power...and saving them for my other plugs "waves plug-ins" im fine for the effects, i dont really use too much crazy stuff in my mixes. anywayz, any advice will help towards my goal. thanx

If you want to increase your power, 1500 bucks will buy you the system I just put together

Searching my name you will see years of grumbling over the pathetic power of computers. But this time, this is a JUMP, a HUGE jump in power

I have maxed out a hard drive speed recording and playing back at 96khz at 3 msec latency with some pretty hardcore plugins 22% CPU TOPS

Im flabbergasted!!!

I do have a UAD-1 as well, but its problems can easily cancel out any claimed gains. If you are using cubendo or samplitude though, the UAD-1 really CAN save you some CPU

Anyway heres the ingredients

Motherboard: $350 Tyan S2895 K8WE - if there is a faster or better mobo for ANY platform for DAW use, besides maybe the Supermicro H8DCE, please tell me. I dont believe there is anything even comparable for any price. FW , gigabit LAN, USB 2 the bundle

RAM: $140 : Corsair Reg ECC 512 meg X four sticks (needed to get NUMA support)

Video: $45: Radeon XT 128 meg. Dual DVI AND TV out

CPU: $425: 2 X AMD Opteron 248 ( this board is ready for dualcores when they come out cheap, but as my Sisoft Sandra reults show above, I neednt worry for a while

Case: $190: P-link 4 space rackmount for EATX +680 watt PSU

Fans: $100: Im a bit paranoid here. Anyone else will pull this off for 20 bucks, but hey...

OS: $85: WinXP SP2(SP2 needed for NUMA support for the RAM). Buy the mobo AND either RAM, HD's, Video card, or PSU from a shop and you will be able to pick up a retailer distro XP for less than 100 dollars

CD/DVD: $45: Pioneer I forget which, but its black like my coffee

Swap Bay IDE: $16: Inclose PMD 96 for IDE (part of the fan cost above was replacing this fan with a quieter one that glows blue or red depending on temp)

Swap Bay SATA: $32: VanTec EZSwap 2

THought I'd be getting some raptors and rading them, but after testing, the sata-2 7200 rpm 8 meg cache drives are more than fast enough

WD-1600JS, just becuase I saw some for cheap.

Back