Understanding EQ's

Killah_Trakz

Who Cares!
Can anyone tell me the tone of certain eq's. I know the SSL are clean eq's, but the API's, Neve's, and Pultecs have a distinguished sound and i wanted to know what characteristics they have that makes them their "go to"?

that's the hardest question to answer ....
I think the point is that those EQs by pultec, sony oxford etc emulate the distinct tube/warmth characteristics of the hardware they are based on. Who knows what they are, each twist of the virtual knob will give you something new and exciting. URS has some particularily nice analog modelled EQs

Waves SSL stuff is also hardware emulated - but I think waves prides itself on transparency

The SSL G series EQ's are good but can sound a bit harsh with anything above 8K, compared to the E series which has cleaner high end but more muddy lows.

I haven't found an EQ from API that I haven't liked. The API 550's and 550B's add an extra shine and are great on acoustic guitar, vocal, and snare tracks.

You really can't go wrong with Neves either. Very musical, and is very smooth. The 1064's are amazing, and sound great on a stereo buss.

I haven't played around with a Pultec yet.

djclueveli said:
is he refering to plugin eq's or hardware? is waves ssl and pultec a plugin?

There are plugin versions of alot of hardware EQ's. The original poster didn't make the distinction about hardware or plug-in based eq's. I assume he meant hardware.

Related or not, I just got the URS plugs and they absolutely rule. The eq's and comps are equally fantastic. Lightweight on CPU too.

peopleperson said:
Related or not, I just got the URS plugs and they absolutely rule. The eq's and comps are equally fantastic. Lightweight on CPU too.

Give them to me. Don't ask, just do it!

:cool:

Back