Tennessee Studios?

Cult_Status02

Just a quick question for you older folks. I could not decided where to post this, so I guess this will do. If any of you have a) worked in some of the TN studios a while back, or knew people there, or read about people, and b) known or met someone named Bob, could you tell me about him.

I was mixing some stuff in my studio this afternoon and an older man came in, he was mentioning early reflections and we were talking about acoustics, so he knows stuff. The problem is, I didn't catch his last name. He said he's worked in all "The big studios you've seen in Mix Mag in TN." Asking for his last name just didn't seem appropriate at the time.

I know it's a weird ass question, but if you could give me any info and help me find out who this guy is, that'd be great. His name is Bob...yeah, I know, how many Bobs are there? But anything will get me closer to learning who he is.

Between Memphis and Nashville, Tennessee only has the largest concentration of recording studios, engineers, session musicians and other assorted "cats" in the world (outside of maybe L.A.). You know how many hundreds of "Bobs" have worked that state that could probably correctly make the claims he did - and how many thousands could lie about it?

The scene you describe sounds like a scene from a spaghetti movie:

"The sun's strong backlighting hid the face of the man known only as "Bob" as he confidantly strutted through the squeaky studio doors. His duster flapped as he crossed the positive pressure barrier to the control room, his spurs clanking the beat of the tracks playing over the nearfields.

He tipped his hat to me and with a few quick master strokes he solved my nagging reflection problems as easily as a surgeon lances a boil. With hardly another word, he turned and dissappeared with a swagger back into the low sunset, the tumbleweeds blowing reverently behind him.

And so the legend of The Man With No Last Name was born."

:D

G.

Cult_Status02 said:
Just a quick question for you older folks. I could not decided where to post this, so I guess this will do. If any of you have a) worked in some of the TN studios a while back, or knew people there, or read about people, and b) known or met someone named Bob, could you tell me about him.

I was mixing some stuff in my studio this afternoon and an older man came in, he was mentioning early reflections and we were talking about acoustics, so he knows stuff. The problem is, I didn't catch his last name. He said he's worked in all "The big studios you've seen in Mix Mag in TN." Asking for his last name just didn't seem appropriate at the time.

I know it's a weird ass question, but if you could give me any info and help me find out who this guy is, that'd be great. His name is Bob...yeah, I know, how many Bobs are there? But anything will get me closer to learning who he is.
Well Bob Ohlsson is in Nashville, and he certainly qualifies as a big name engineer.

I have no idea who you are speaking of, but know Bob Olhsson would never say something as cheesy as "the big studios you've seen in Mix Mag in TN". That statement positively reeks of amateurism...

bblackwood said:
I have no idea who you are speaking of, but know Bob Olhsson would never say something as cheesy as "the big studios you've seen in Mix Mag in TN". That statement positively reeks of amateurism...
True, Brad. If you look in the dictionary under "classy", you'll find Bob Olhsson's picture. He's always a class act.

I agree...I can't imagine anybody who has any real status/respect in the music industry presenting themselves by saying "I work in all the big studios you've seen in Mix Magazine in Tennessee." It sounds to me like someone is trying to make themselves sound much bigger than they actually are (which is VERY common in this industry)

Yeah, I realize there are many-a-bob. But I thought I'd try. It was by far the most unexpected thing that's happened to me in a LONG tome. You know I'm kind of thinking he was like a janitor for a week or something and he wants to brag about it...you know what's funny, he offered to be a producer at my studio...all I was thinking was that this guy must be crazy because most of the band I record just want to get a demo together, they don't want a 60-something guy telling them what direction to take their music.

Before I say this last thing, I want to say thanks to you guys, expecially Glen...I was on the floor laughing my ass off! Great stuff.

Last but not least, this guy didn't have any legs...he had two prosthetic legs and a cane...does that ring any bells.

Thanks again guys.

-edit-
Oh yeah, and I was thinking the same thing about the Mix mag comment, I kind of chuckled when he said it...but he looked dead serious. So then I felt bad.

Harvey Gerst said:
True, Brad. If you look in the dictionary under "classy", you'll find Bob Olhsson's picture. He's always a class act.

I took you up on that and looked up "classy" There was a picture of Harvey Gerst!

no wait, that was "classic" :P

woops

Harvey Gerst said:
Ahh, to be 18 again - and know everything already.
Yea, it was a great feeling. Now a year later, I realize how much of a fool I was. It's not just being 18 that does it: it's being 18 and in college. Maybe it's because you've graduated high school, which basically means you've met the minimum requirements for life. Then you're at college which is a step beyond those requirements. Now you're at the "recommended" status. What the hell am I talking about?

Ok, well I know who it is now...The guy is Bob Heil. I'm sure you know who he is. He was in the local news paper because he has a few peices in the Rock and Roll of fame. He invented and built a few things. These are four things listed of his that are in the Rock and Roll hall of fame:

• A quadraphonic sound board called MAVIS (for Music and Voice Instrument System) built for The Who's 1974 Quadrophenia tour, and a rear channel speaker from the tour.

• A guitar Talk Box, serial number 1, signed by Joe Walsh of The Eagles and the James Gang and Peter Frampton.

• A sound board from the Mississippi River Music Festival that was used to engineer sound for hundreds of bands, including REO Speedwagon.

• Photos taken during concerts where Heil engineered, including of members of The Who, The Grateful Dead and other groups.

I think I will contact him again. This is pretty exciting!

Cult_Status02 said:
Ok, well I know who it is now...The guy is Bob Heil. I'm sure you know who he is. He was in the local news paper because he has a few peices in the Rock and Roll of fame.
Well, Bob Heil lives and works in Illinois, not Tennessee. I've known Bob for about 35 years and he's a great guy, but he's more known for FOH rather than studio engineering, but he's got great ears.

I'm glad to see he's finally getting some well-earn recognition. Although I should have probably been inducted into the R &R Hall of Fame before Bob was. Still, it's nice to see friends finally get recognized.

Maybe next year. :p

Hey Harvey, I think I'm setting up a meeting with him to just talk a bit, I'll give him your regards.

In other news, someone gave me negative rep points and called me an asshole for this thread, probably just because I mentioned his handicap...might I ask who it was... anyone? Grow up.

Cult_Status02 said:
Hey Harvey, I think I'm setting up a meeting with him to just talk a bit, I'll give him your regards.
Good, remind him to get on Brad Lunde's ass about sending me a PR30 and 40 to try. Bob and I talked for about an hour at the January NAMM show, exchanging music stories. I was one of the first people to try his PR20 from Elizabeth P. just before she died.

Bob was an Acoustic Control dealer in the 70's when he had his music store in Marrissa, Illinois. I designed most of the Acoustic Control amps he sold.

In other news, someone gave me negative rep points and called me an asshole for this thread, probably just because I mentioned his handicap...might I ask who it was... anyone? Grow up.
Wasn't me. If I give good, or bad, rep, I include my name.

Bob was on the local news here this morning. I still have a bunch of old Heil PA gear (graphic EQ's, a cross over).

Back