Tannoy vs. Event (battle of the century)

HAWLK

Ok, here's the deal i very recently purchased Event 20/20bass's, i havent realy used them but i have heard some bad reviews. so i went to the guy i purchased them from(a guy i met who owns a music store) and he seid i can change them over for the Tannoy Reveal Active if i pay the differance.

Are the Reveal Actives better than the 2020bass?

S8-N seid he had problems with the bass on the 2020bass, are the Reveals better?

What is the differance (sound/setup/price ect.) between the Reveal Active and the Reveal's?

Should i make the trade?

Any other info/ after thorghts?

Also the Tweeter looks a bit dodgy on the Reveals, how does that compare to the 2020bass?

HAWLK

[This message has been edited by HAWLK (edited 11-25-1999).]

[This message has been edited by HAWLK (edited 11-25-1999).]

The fact that they are Bi-amped should give them better bass response... I didn't want to shell out the extra $$$. Try 'em out... Record a song, mix it down, then play it on a stereo that your ears are in tune with... If the low ends is way out of proportion... youre not getting good response... PLay a CD through 'em that you know has a punchy kick drum sound... if you can't hear it through your monitors... I'd try some other monitors...
I just listened to my latest song through a set of Alesis monitor one's and I wasn't blown away by them either... They seemed to mask that mountain of low end also.

I own a pair of Event 20/20bas for my studio. They're OK. They're good enough for monitoring. However, what's better are my 3 sets of home speakers in my living room. I refer to my pair of mid-80's Fisher 3-way 15"s, late-70's 3-way 10"s, late-90's 3-way 6 1/2"s, and a 100w x 2 reciever usually about 3xs throughout the mixing of a song. I even have them each routed to my patchbay so I can just quickly tap any of them into the main output from the console.

SEE!!!!SEE!!!! I'm not the only one who runs to the living room to monitor!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA... Bitches.

S8-N

I don't have to run for the living room- I'm already there. And since Rec Eng has put in a great plug for his Fishers as useful for mixdown- I thought I'd reiterate; my offer re: my Fisher 3-ways still stands.

My stereo speakers rock, except I really need to find some new tweeters and replace the crossovers... The speakers are vintage Kenwoods from the mid 80's... Last year the woofers finally blew and I replaced them with $90 Radio Shack 15" woofers and those babys BOOM...
Weird thing is that the old woofers were an odd size... like 17's or something... I had to drill new holes to get the new woofers to fit in the cabinets.

Still no one has been able to help me, should i make the trade or not? or should i first listen to them together?
Due to S8-N's post i've now brought an old pair of pioneer speakers into my studio, i havn't yet tested them thou, and i still need to make the decision on monitors, i can't just use them.

HAWLK

Hey Hawlk,
One thing to keep in mind is that I have the 20/20P's and not the 20/20BAS's... The BAS's are better speakers... I was just too cheap to buy them. I was seriously considering the TRIA but I couldn't find anyone who had used one.
What type of music are you recording??? I happen to like a lot of low end and a lot of kick drum... Most people don't seem to have a problem with the Events... just me...
It seems to me that a Bi-amped speaker system like the BAS would project the lows better than the 20/20's.

S8-N

My music is mainly metal but i do recording for other funk bands as well.
I need good low end.

HAWLK

Metal and funk... your low end is important... Get some opinions other than mine...
I'm having trouble with the low end in my studio... I've been bitching a lot about MY speakers but you have different ones so I can't give you an intelligent answer...
Wait around a few days... the BB is kinda dead right now... Maybe someone can help...

S8-N

If you can't afford it, I'd wait until you can at least buy the Event 20/20bas, but really recommend the Mackies; believe me, I wouldn't go any less than that. Also, I wouldn't use house speakers in place of monitors; the house speakers are for referencing, just as headphones are. I use the 15"s to make sure there's enough low-end, and the 6 1/2"s to make sure there's not too much low-end. Another thing is to look around for a pair of Auratone Cubes. Put them on top of your near-fields for reference as well. Their size and frequency reponse simulate that of dash speakers in a car. They are no longer manufactuered, but you can find them for aroubd $100US for a pair.

Recording Engineer, I arn't replacing monitors with normal speakers, i'm just comparing them to eachother, also i already have the 2020bas and ive beed offered a trade for the Tannoy Reveals active. My origional questions where, should i make the trade? and whats the differance between the active and normal (not in theory, in sound)?

also i have tested both of them but not together and not with a song with much bass. i might setup the 2020's tonight again and try them wiht some somthing with alot of low end.
Any way if anyone has both speakers pleez reply... and tell me which ones i should look more seriosly at.

HAWLK

Sorry, but the replacing monitors with house speakers was directed at you; just a overall consensis. As far as the benifits of active over passive, the active is much better in efficiency since there is not nearly as much wasted watts. With passives, we amplify the entire signal, then just cut the frequencies we don't want; what a waste!

Let me go to the Tannoy web-site and check them out.

Those Tannoy Reveal Actives are only 6 1/2" woofers and only go down to 62HZ. They also have 2 50w amps.

As compared to the Event 20/20bas', the woofers are 8" and go down to 35HZ. Thw also have a 70w amp for the tweeter and 130w amp for the woofer.

Knowing that, you decide.

How about the spirit apsolute 4P Active.
If i could get him to trade for them what are they like?
Also is what they say in their web sites entirely accurate, the 2020p say they have the same frequency response as the 2020bas.

HAWLK

Back