Tannoy vs. Event (battle of the century)

I think the Spirit Active would be a better competitor to compare to the Event 20/20bas, but the 6 1/2" woofer makes me think it won't be "better"; but that's not saying much (it's not the size that counts), a lot of times. But I have to say that if you're going for a trade and going to pay the difference, go for the Mackies. I would have bought the Mackies myself, but they weren't for another half a year after I bought my Events.

As far as the Event 20/20p having the same FR as the 20/20bas, I'm pretty sure that's true. It's just that I wouldn't want to have to deal with a subwoofer in the studio. I think you'd have a lot of problems with trying to make your FR as flat as could be; especially when most of us are dealing with not so great rooms.

Of course, I take back what I said as far as subs in the studio if you're dealing with a nice sized, ideal room, and are going to spend $3000US on a pair of Meyer 8" 2-way powered and active near-field monitors, $12,000US on a pair of Meyer 2x12" 2-way active loud-speakers, $18,000US on a pair of Meyer 18" subwoofers, $5000US per amp to power the 2x12"s and 18"s, plus another $10,000US on EQs and crossovers for tailoring a flat response to your room.
Don't worry! One of Meyer's techs will deliver them to you, install them, and tailor the flat frequency response to your room for FREE; what a deal! Of course, you'll quickly develop Permanent Threshold Shift and you'll need your room to be equalized to your ears.

Man!! I just read that back and talk about being facetious! But the truth is... That's about the right cost; one of the many reasons why the pro stuff is so damn good sounding, the one behind the console included (their experience with the equipment and all together). What's funny is that what most of us would consinder "pro" is really "semi-pro".

I haven't heard them or heard anything about them, but I'd be willing to bet they're something worth looking into...

The HHB Circle 5

Read about them at www.co.uk although I can't find any specs on them there.

Back