Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sweeping for “problematic frequencies”

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pavlonis View Post
    What do you mean by "problematic" if something is that far off, then re-record it..
    Re-recording may not be the answer. For example, a guitar may have a particular note that is standing out. For example, a bottom G might, for some reason, be boomy. So you can cut a bit of EQ on that note.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Re-recording may not be the answer. For example, a guitar may have a particular note that is standing out. For example, a bottom G might, for some reason, be boomy. So you can cut a bit of EQ on that note.
    True, most instruments naturally double their sound pressure on certain low notes. There are several ways it can be minimized.

Thanks
    I never sweep, it's much easier and quicker to call up a spectrum analyser. You can immediately see the offending frequency and then deal with it using your preferred method of EQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aj113 View Post
    I never sweep, it's much easier and quicker to call up a spectrum analyser. You can immediately see the offending frequency and then deal with it using your preferred method of EQ.
    Assuming you are familiar with what particular instruments look like on the analyzer. Every instrument looks different. I work in Cubase, every EQ channel is tied to an analyzer. It is a great tool.

Thanks
    Assuming you are familiar with what particular instruments look like on the analyzer. Every instrument looks different. I work in Cubase, every EQ channel is tied to an analyzer. It is a great tool.
    This assumes that the thing you hear in the mix that's bothering you is actually caused by a peak in a particular track. It's not always a single track, or even an observable peak IME. It's just something that catches your ear that you feel is out of place. Then, having some idea of where to start your testing, and using the the [cut] sweep method will be more useful, especially if it's really kind of a transient that can be very hard to pinpoint visually (again IMO/IME).
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    This assumes that the thing you hear in the mix that's bothering you is actually caused by a peak in a particular track. It's not always a single track, or even an observable peak IME. It's just something that catches your ear that you feel is out of place. Then, having some idea of where to start your testing, and using the the [cut] sweep method will be more useful, especially if it's really kind of a transient that can be very hard to pinpoint visually (again IMO/IME).
    And to add..once more :>) Sometimes the 'problem isn't necessarily a problem of level -but one of dwell time. This more likely with instruments (or room but that's another discussion) in the lower to low mids.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Assuming you are familiar with what particular instruments look like on the analyzer. Every instrument looks different.
    Not sure what you mean. If there is a peak at a certain frequency, an SA will show it, regardless of the instrument that is playing it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aj113 View Post
    Not sure what you mean. If there is a peak at a certain frequency, an SA will show it, regardless of the instrument that is playing it.
    Um, you still have to have an idea of what you're trying to get rid of. The biggest peak on your analyzer should be the fundamental of the instrument you are playing and cutting that "by eye", as it were, would just cut the note you are playing. If you are eq'ing, say, a bass track of whatever type, your fundamental is going to be the biggest peak but the second, third and fourth harmonics will be the next highest unless you have some mistake you are trying to get rid of. If you don't know where your tone and harmonics are supposed to be for that instrument and then go cutting stuff that is visually higher, you won't be doing your self a favor. So , by all means , use an analyzer, but know how what you see relates to what you hear in order to make the changes that you wish. IOW an offending frequency is often NOT the highest peak on analyzer.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    IOW an offending frequency is often NOT the highest peak on analyzer.
    No, but it's the highest amongst others around it. If you cut the highest one and you don't hear an improvement, I think we would all assume at that point that the wrong frequency has been cut. In that case, try a different peak. Having said that, nine times out of ten the frequency I first go to is the right one. I mean, nobody is seriously going to be looking at 5kHz (for example) when they can hear some boxy, honky mid tones.

Thanks
    simply dropping freqs that peak,
    is not the answer.
    it may be THAT peak, is really one you need,
    or possibly is creating a masking issue,
    which may need the tweak of a fundamental and not a harmonic.

Thread Information