Still need more separation in my tracks

Robertt8

Okay...I'm getting better at it, but I'm still looking for separation in my tracks. It sounds a lot better than it did, but still doesn't get quite the separation of professionally mixed tracks (I know I'll probably never be able to do that in my little home studio, but it seems like I could get closer). I'm using the stereo (right and left speakers) better and that helps a lot (isolating better in the separate speakers). I'm also realizing that less (or no) reverb makes the parts stand out more and not mush into a big glob. Also, using different effects on separate tracks helps. Any other advice?

One option, depending on what software you are using, is to use a plugin to help increase your stereo seperation.

I love this feature in Izotope's Ozone -- it lets you adjust your seperation by frequency band, as well as a BUNCH of other mastering tasks. On the downside, its a CPU hog, and it costs $200.

Another plugin, which I have not used, is PSP StereoPack ($24.)

Another option is an external box, such as a Finalyzer.

FWIW,
-lee-

I disagree completely....

Plug-ins and Finalizers don't give you more separation, if anything - they could muddy things up more!

Well-defined tracks in a mix come from good instrument arrangement, balancing frequencies with the instrument registers, judicious use of EQ to trim/shpe a track into its own little portion of the frequency spectrum, and by not having multiple tracks tripping over each other in common areas.

I'll second Bruce's (Blue Bear's) comments, and add that you should try to track everything as cleanly as possible. That doesn't mean you can't have guitar distortion :) Eliminate as much noise from your signal path as possible. You can't mix fuzz with fuzz, and end up with crystal ;)

Also... a tip. During the busiest parts of your arrangement, EQ out (shelf/rolloff) all the very low frequencies on everything but bass guitar (possibly the bass drum). Something that *might* work, but it's much less important.

We can agree to disagree on this one! :)

I totally agree that manipulating the mix and the parameters is crucial and primary, but I'm not going to remove the other tools from my toolbox -- I believe they have their place too. Have you tried some of the available tools? Use your ears to decide...

-lee-

Smart doubling, aggressive panning and cutting the lows and low mids on tracks that dont need those frequencies will do alot for the "seperation" you seek. Typically a rolloff at 100Hz on vocals, synths, organs, some guitars, and cymbals will help. Use a frequency analyzer to help identify trouble spots and peaks.

laptoppop said:
We can agree to disagree on this one! :)

I totally agree that manipulating the mix and the parameters is crucial and primary, but I'm not going to remove the other tools from my toolbox -- I believe they have their place too. Have you tried some of the available tools? Use your ears to decide...

-lee-
I didn't say they don't have their place or houldn't be used period....! (It's just that they are not appropriate for the application in this particular case!!!) ;)

Back