Steps for good quality?

crimnal

I use Adobe Audition [Same thing as Cool Edit] and what I would like to know is...

After I get my vocals recorded, what all should I do to them to make them sound professional?

All I have been doing is a 4:1 Dynamics Processing. I know there is more that I should be doing. Please give me the exacts and where to find these effects. Thanks!

A somewhat 'professional sound' will only come from the use of good mic placement, good vocal abilities, and some type of equalization. These are the basics.

To go further, throw in a high quality pre-amp for the mic, good eqing techniques, and some knowledge about dynamic control and compression.

Your song will not sound professional until its entirety is recorded, mixed, and mastered on a professional level by experienced ears. Do the best you can with the gear you have. Cross reference your mix with other good mixes and see what you think you could improve on.

Remember: there is no magic button that says 'press for professionalism.' Professionalism comes from hard work and an open mind.

Garbage-In->Garbage Out. If you're vocals don't sound "really close to professional" going in, no amount of sonic maximizing/plug-in-of-the-week/eq-to-death is going to get it there.
If you record a good performance in a good sounding room with a good mic into a good pre into a good A/D, you're 85% of the way to "good quality"

All of the above being true - I think you were looking for effects and settings to use on your vox. I asked the same question of a guy that did some mixing for me (I'm kinda new to it also) I liked the result and he gave me the following settings and plugs that he had used.. may be of help to you.

This is for cakewalk plugs - but similar settings can be found on the others...

Comments welcomed.

Reverb:
Room size: 47
Decay: 4859 ms
Early reflections: 20%
Stereo Width: 85
Hi Freq Cut: 4k hz
Lo Freq Cut: 300hz
60/40 dry/wet mix

Compression settings:
Threshold: -20db
Ratio: 5.0:1
Output Gain: -1db
Attack: 5ms
Release: 160 ms

Final mix processing was hard limiting to -.3db

I should expain that this was for a mellow folk acoustic/vocal - probably not suitable for hard rock or ???

Lane said:
All of the above being true - I think you were looking for effects and settings to use on your vox. I asked the same question of a guy that did some mixing for me (I'm kinda new to it also) I liked the result and he gave me the following settings and plugs that he had used.. may be of help to you.

This is for cakewalk plugs - but similar settings can be found on the others...

Comments welcomed.

Reverb:
Room size: 47
Decay: 4859 ms
Early reflections: 20%
Stereo Width: 85
Hi Freq Cut: 4k hz
Lo Freq Cut: 300hz
60/40 dry/wet mix

Compression settings:
Threshold: -20db
Ratio: 5.0:1
Output Gain: -1db
Attack: 5ms
Release: 160 ms

Final mix processing was hard limiting to -.3db

I should expain that this was for a mellow folk acoustic/vocal - probably not suitable for hard rock or ???

Not only the type of music will matter but the inflection/wording and tone of the vocalist, only after your practiced at mixing will you be able to get to the ball park rather quickly, then it's tweaking and listening, there are no shortcuts. Just keep working at it, what you'll think sounds good now will sound like C*%p to you in a year.

ds21 said:
Not only the type of music will matter but the inflection/wording and tone of the vocalist, only after your practiced at mixing will you be able to get to the ball park rather quickly, then it's tweaking and listening, there are no shortcuts. Just keep working at it, what you'll think sounds good now will sound like C*%p to you in a year.

hahahaha crap isn't really a swear word.....

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
hahahaha crap isn't really a swear word.....

Hmmm, that's a bit like saying marijuana isn't really a drug!
OK it might only be a 'mild' swear word, but it's still a swear word. I mean most people say f*&k sometimes, but just because its said a lot in everyday conversation doesn't mean it ain't a swear word.

Would you say 'cr*p' in church? see what I mean.

glynb said:
Hmmm, that's a bit like saying marijuana isn't really a drug!
OK it might only be a 'mild' swear word, but it's still a swear word. I mean most people say f*&k sometimes, but just because its said a lot in everyday conversation doesn't mean it ain't a swear word.

Would you say 'cr*p' in church? see what I mean.

actually ive heard my pastor say Aww Crap, and Crap alot lol

Welcome Tuh The Hood lol

yeah, man

could not have said it better!

Massive Master said:
The MOST important steps are those taken before the "RECORD" button is pressed.

Back