Sorta odd EQ question

Chris Jahn

Bare with me here its a tuff explanation. Basically i revisited a mix i started a long time ago trying to use some of the knowledge ive gained in the past months.

I started from scratch, got rid of all processing i had going etc....and now im pretty happy with the resualts. the thing is on the master stereo fader i had a 31 band eq going. I was trying this out way back just to mess around with Eqing the WHOLE mix (this was when i first started)

Well now im done "remixing" and low and behold the entire time im mixing the eq was engaged on the master fader. so when i turn it off it sounds like crap cuz i mixed to that master sound.

Now i guess waht im wondering, is there really anything wrong with that, im mean, if it sounds ok is it just ok, or might this be causing problems im not really hearing (mostly cuz im used to the mix the way it is) does the boosting and cutting on the master fader effect something im not thinking of?

is the master fader clipping or anything?

well if you mixed with that EQ engaged, and it sounds bad without the EQ, then i say just leave it, since all your individual tracks are EQ'd against the master EQ section. it would probably not be worth the trouble to disable the master EQ and re-do the entire mix, so i'd say if it really sounds good just leave it. if the EQ in the master track is degrading the sound, however, you might want to start all over again, haha. it's really up to you.

which EQ is it on the master track? how large are the adjustments on it? if they are anything more than +/- 4db of adjustment, it might be worthwhile to just do the whole thing again without the master EQ...good luck!

I think i jsut gonna start over, ive been haveing trouble with this damn mix, and i think thats why, the cuts and boosts on the individual instruments are jsut too sensitive and i think its cuz the master is ALL OVER THE PLACE, i jsut listened to it in my car ( my ultimate decision maker) and it sounds NOTHING like my other mixes from the same band. SO i think it did have an over all negative effect.

Chris Jahn said:
I think i jsut gonna start over, ive been haveing trouble with this damn mix, and i think thats why, the cuts and boosts on the individual instruments are jsut too sensitive and i think its cuz the master is ALL OVER THE PLACE, i jsut listened to it in my car ( my ultimate decision maker) and it sounds NOTHING like my other mixes from the same band. SO i think it did have an over all negative effect.

hey i check my mixes in the car too! i think it gives a good reference, because we're so used to how songs we like sound on the car stereo. anyway, yeah if the EQ is all over the place it will be worth while to just start all over. have fun. :eek: :D

Basically, your individual track eq's are canceling out your master mix eq. You might try bypassing the master eq and then bypassing all the individual track eq's and see what that does. You might not be far off.

But I do think you are right to redo the eqing on that mix. The way I would do it is by taking all the eq off the mix entirely, but leave everything else as is. Then work from there.

Back