Reverb on aux bus is causing mix volume to decrease

DrOnion

I'm sending vocals, guitars, and drums to a reverb on an aux bus.
When I bypass the reverb plugin on the aux bus the overall volume noticeably increases. So the reverb bus is causing the volume of the mix to decrease. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? The plugin is a Sonitus reverb.
Thanks.

Strangeness. Assuming the verb is 100% wet (maybe some sort of strange cancellation if not and certainly some odd sound if it's not). Seems like a weird one...

I know this happens in REA{ER to me. When I hit "bypass" on a send effect like reverb, everything going through that bus gets louder. I figured it was normal since the signal is still going through the bus, but since the effect is bypassed, the signal is just "bussing" it's own dry signal, so it gets louder.

Thanks guys. That explained it. When I mute the bus there's no volume increase like when bypassing the reverb. Seems obvious once it's explained. Thanks again!

I'm sending vocals, guitars, and drums to a reverb on an aux bus.
When I bypass the reverb plugin on the aux bus the overall volume noticeably increases. So the reverb bus is causing the volume of the mix to decrease. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? The plugin is a Sonitus reverb.
Thanks.

hey you need to send vocals to one bus, guitar to one bus and do the same for drums put the reverb on the vocals bus,guitar bus and drum bus.then take the reverb from bus and drop it on the vocals track and do the same for guitar and drums use the track fader not the bus fader to adjust the reverb it should help or solve problem.

hey you need to send vocals to one bus, guitar to one bus and do the same for drums put the reverb on the vocals bus,guitar bus and drum bus.then take the reverb from bus and drop it on the vocals track and do the same for guitar and drums

I'm not a know it all, but I feel that this is bad advice.

Using one bus for one reverb is the way to go. No need to have 3 of the same reverb all over the place. That's confusing and eats up valuable CPU.

OP, you're doing it right!

hey you need to send vocals to one bus, guitar to one bus and do the same for drums put the reverb on the vocals bus,guitar bus and drum bus.then take the reverb from bus and drop it on the vocals track and do the same for guitar and drums use the track fader not the bus fader to adjust the reverb it should help or solve problem.

I'm not a know it all, but I feel that this is bad advice.

Using one bus for one reverb is the way to go. No need to have 3 of the same reverb all over the place. That's confusing and eats up valuable CPU.

OP, you're doing it right!

I agree with you sixer2007. Having a bus for each instrument defeats the purpose. You may as well just add the reverb fx to the original tracks.

I'm no expert either but the way I've always done it is has one reverb bus, set to wet, fader on 0 and then send what i want to that bus. Control the amount of fx volume/input with the send fader (in Reaper) in the routing controls.

There is a case for separate reverbs, as explained by Mike Senior in his book, "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio"

He sets up different verbs for different types of processing so you might have a different reverb plugin for things like:

Blend
Size
Width etc.

But all of these will be on their own individual bus with sends from various tracks feeding into it/them.
Track outputs are to busses in the normal way

hmm.. reffering to the "applying an overkill amount of reverb" comment, though it may seem like bad advice, to each his own. some DAWS do not have sends, like Acid pro 7. just busses and crappy bus faders. no aux's. so that way might benefit him. not sure what he's using, maybe he isnt aware of sends. .. maybe.. he just likes reverb.

I know this happens in REA{ER to me. When I hit "bypass" on a send effect like reverb, everything going through that bus gets louder. I figured it was normal since the signal is still going through the bus, but since the effect is bypassed, the signal is just "bussing" it's own dry signal, so it gets louder.

Sorry to bring this back, I remember seeing it before and it didn't make sense at the time. I've never noticed anything like this in Sonar, just wondering- This volume increase, does that only happen if your bus path is pretty close to full unity gain? (..which would be fairly hot for a verb for example. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed the effect

..Wait a sec. New way to ask.
If you add a send and a bus.. at unity, would that make the volume go up?

Sorry to bring this back, I remember seeing it before and it didn't make sense at the time. I've never noticed anything like this in Sonar, just wondering- This volume increase, does that only happen if your bus path is pretty close to full unity gain? (..which would be fairly hot for a verb for example. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed the effect
Not sure if I totally understand what you mean by "bus path". But if you're asking whether the fader on my reverb is at unity gain, the answer is yes. I always have that fader at unity and then I adjust the send levels.

Just to be clear, the only time there is any volume increase is when I have the reverb bypassed.

Not sure if I totally understand what you mean by "bus path". But if you're asking whether the fader on my reverb is at unity gain, the answer is yes. I always have that fader at unity and then I adjust the send levels.

Just to be clear, the only time there is any volume increase is when I have the reverb bypassed.
Bus path as in a send and the bus. So you keep your verb sub at 100% and I start with the send at 100% and blend at the sub.. same same. (and an old habit.. "Get your levels up early in the chain" ..From finding out the 16bit PCM 80 can be the noisiest thing on the desk
Ok so now we have this path and that causes a volume increase (even easily several dB attenuated..

edit to add; this would have to happen just adding the new path let alone what gets put on it.
I need to poke around tonight some. I've never noticed this happening.

for me too

Back