Render Drum Mix Separately???

5stringer

Has/do anyone regularly render to stereo a drum mix of 8+ tracks then bring that stereo
mix back into their DAW to begin stacking guitars, bass, vocals, keys, etc?

Yea, I figured that would definately take a load off the cpu from having to stream 8 tracks of drums with many inserts and sends. But I'm a little confused, when you final mix, all of your recorded tracks (drums included) are operational (w/ inserts, eq's, etc...)- correct? So when/why render them to stereo at all?

I don't think I understand your question. Here's what I do.

Lay a scratch guitar track of the song.

Record drums to that scratch track.

Render down drum tracks to one stereo .wav.

Mute drum tracks.

Bring stereo .wav into project.

Track keeper guitars, bass, vocals, etc along to stereo drum .wav

When I'm done tracking, un-mute real individual drum tracks, delete stereo drum track, and mix.

Render down final mix with all of the actual individual tracks, including individual drum tracks.

OK - I see how your project flow goes - identical to mine w/o the stereo drum track. I've seen a guy start a completely new project using just the stereo drum mix then recording the other elements THEN final mixing that way! I assume he does this because his cpu can't handle all the processing.

OK - I see how your project flow goes - identical to mine w/o the stereo drum track. I've seen a guy start a completely new project using just the stereo drum mix then recording the other elements THEN final mixing that way! I assume he does this because his cpu can't handle all the processing.

That gives you no flexibility with the drums. A raw drum mix might sound fine, but then you dump bass and guitars all over it and things change.

I've seen a guy start a completely new project using just the stereo drum mix then recording the other elements THEN final mixing that way!

This makes no sense and defeats having the flexibility of what MULTI-TRACKING should give you.

I'm with Greg on this one. It allows the other dudes in the band to hear a little processing on the drums without having a butt-load of latency while they are tracking. My interface allows for direct monitoring, but I prefer to do it through the DAW. Then as tracks keep coming in, more of these stereo mixes get made for the same purpose. Hopefully after the new PC build this week, this will be a thing of the past.

Back