Recent "Rescue" operation

Interesting!

crosstudio said:
1) bruce's master has more stereo than the original. you can really hear it most in the separation of the cymbals and toms and less so than in the stereo mic'd piano which is a shame since it's a 3-piece band.
That's an accident of the processing, I'm afraid... after incremental EQ-shaping, the stereo image shifted, I had to re-pan slightly - in actuality, I had to pan it slightly more narrow to restore the image, so it's actually "less stereo" than the original!

crosstudio said:
2) bruce's version has more high end than the original. in the original you can barely hear the drum intro (mostly hats and cymbals) blending in with the piano before the bass comes in and the drummer hits the pocket. the high end boost also makes the bass solo shine...

edited note: which according to my spec analyzer is correct, what a great ear i have!
Absolutely...! Judicious use of smaller, incremental amounts of EQ, instead of a large twist of hi-shelf...

crosstudio said:
3) he must have used a high pass filter because the kick and bass is less flabby, i'm thinking 70hz with a pretty steep shelf...

edited note: which according to my spec analyzer I am wrong about... what a crappy ear i have!
As your analyzer already told you, you're wrong on this point! ;)

crosstudio said:
4) bruce's version is also compressed and louder. me thinks he used a multi-band compressor and then a peak limiter.
No multi-band compression at all...

A small amount of limiting is all that I used, to draw the mix out a bit more. Being a jazz tune with inherent dynamics that were important to maintain, I was very careful to use only enough to bring out the levels a bit, without really touching the overall dynamic.

crosstudio said:
btw, bruce your brother can really play. his solo kept the essentials of the pocket going while filling at the same time. the piano player fat fingered it quite a bit at 4m:20secs but who cares, it's a well done tune.
"Fat-fingered" - heh-heh -- good way to describe it! ;)
He had the odd bum note scattered throughout for sure - forgiveable since he was only 17/18 years-old at the time (just a pup!)... I only noticed 1 bum note by the bassist... and I didn't notice ANY drum problems.... my brother IS an amazing player indeed... remember, this was live-off-the-floor - no overdubs! :eek:

Did anyone catch the bad edit-point done by the mixing engineer in track 1?

Incidently, I had a couple of other magic tricks up my sleeve....
...but I can't give away all my secrets!!!

;)

Bruce

It's pretty good, but I still think you got too much damn verb on the train. :)

I don't usually hear that much stereo miking of the drums in a jazz recording. Usually it's pretty minimal or just in mono -- although it sounds like that could have been just a stereo pair with one overhead and one on the cymbal?

I actually have no idea how it was tracked, or what the signal chain was for any of the tracks (except that it went into and was mixed in ProTools...)

Bruce

Back