peak, rms, and multi-band compression/limiting

crosstudio

let's say that the loudest absolute peak is -0.1 and the loudest RMS level is -6db and the average RMS level is -12db

I use compression and set the threshold to -18db and the ratio to 1.5:1 and the gain to +3db. Now my loudest RMS level is -6db and the average RMS level is -9db.

Now comes the fun part. There is still a 6 db difference between the loudest RMS level (-6db) and the actual peak level (-0.1db). I minimize this by setting a limiter with it's peak at -3db and it's gain set to +3. This digital limiter clips the overflow at 0.1db. Now, my peak level is 0.1, my RMS peak is -3db and my RMS average is -6db.

Is this too aggressive?

That is a LOT of compression (on some stuff, about 18dB of gain reduction over a broadband signal!!!).

Tell me, how does it sound?

Ed

like sh*t

but doing it taught me how to get what i'm looking for. i've now got a waves C4 multi-band compressor sitting on the main out, with a look ahead peak limiter behind it.

the C4 attack setting lets some stuff get through before clamping down, so i'm not losing the punch, but the limiter is clipping off stray peaks that aren't really adding to the sound.

this seems to do what i want, because normalizing the mix in digital before i did this would not allow the average volume of the mix to be very loud. the average and peak volume are not so far apart because of the compression.

i'd tried this method before, but i had the attack set way too fast, so i basicly squashed the punch of the mix to death and ended up hating it. now that i've got the attack/release settings right ... or at least better... i'm getting close to what i'm looking for.

Back