panning reverb

yetipur

I am trying to add effects in the mixdown. I have a stereo effects processor. when i pan the instrument the reverb does not follow the instrument. the reverb stays in the middle. anybody know why??? thanks

You'd need to look at where the output of the verb is being sent. Certinally, if the track is going to the master stereo out by way of it's pan control, and the verb is going via it's own path, it wouldn't follow the track.
Do some tests, chech out the signal flow of the stuff you're using.
Wayne

-the send could be set up pre fader in your DAW(assuming it's on a send)

-your DAW might have a separate panner for the send

yup, probably a DAW specific problem, one which cannot be helped without more information from you on which DAW you're using, how you're running the plugin, etc. You might want to visit the separate forum for whatever DAW you're using.

If you're using an analog mixer than that is another can of worms, but still one which cannot be answered completely without more information from you as far as how things are set up.

The point being you only provided enough information for us to provide guesses, which may or may not correctly diagnose the problem you are having.

sorry, I guess i really did not explain myself very well. I am using a analog mixing console. stereo outs from processor to buss 1 & 2 in. then stereo ins from processor to AUX 2 left and right. is this correct? thanks.

yetipur said:
sorry, I guess i really did not explain myself very well. I am using a analog mixing console. stereo outs from processor to buss 1 & 2 in. then stereo ins from processor to AUX 2 left and right. is this correct? thanks.
Can we try that again- from the channel send (aux 1 and 2?) to verb (In-Left and in-Right?) then verb out to (aux return..?)
A) Some verbs combine L/R ins to mono so input sends or pan don't do anything. B) Whatever pair comming out of the verb can be panned- or otherwise go to a pair of mono input channels and L/R volume can be pan...

try putting the aux channel you're using into "post fader". If there is not an actual switch/button for this, than maybe there are aux sends that are permanently pre fader, and some that are permanently post fader. Use the aux that is post fader.

how are you hearing the reverb? is it coming out of only one speaker or both?

its still not working. any other ideas? Im using a lexicon mpx-1. fostex model 450 16 channel mixing console. thx

yetipur said:
its still not working. any other ideas? Im using a lexicon mpx-1. fostex model 450 16 channel mixing console. thx
Stereo reverb is not a localized point source, it's reflection fron the surrounding environment.
If it's stereo verb, it really typically is not meant to be panned; it's meant to represent a stereo field. I'd switch to a mono verb myself.

If however you want to condense the stereo into mono so that it can be panned, return from the verb to two standard channel strips on your mixer instead of using the Aux returns. Then you have two mono channels of reverb sound that you can individually pan where you want, including on top of the dry guitar.

G.

to briefcasemanx.
I tried post fader and pre fader. reverb is louder in post fader setting, because i have eq on the channel. the reverb is coming out of both speakers, but when i pan the instrument to the left,or right, i can hear the panned instrument with reverb, but also i can hear the reverb in the other speaker. Im beginning to think that panning the reverb with the instrument is not possible??? OR.......maybe the buss section or Aux section is damaged????

pannig reverb

to southside glen,
ok i understand that stereo reverb is a reflection from the surrounding enviornment. But why then would there be left and right ins and outs? Is this to cover the whole Panning spectrum? If the reverb is always in the middle so to speak, why would anyone want to do it this way? also what is the point of having an AUX pan knob like I do on AUX2?????

yetipur said:
to briefcasemanx.
I tried post fader and pre fader. reverb is louder in post fader setting, because i have eq on the channel. the reverb is coming out of both speakers, but when i pan the instrument to the left,or right, i can hear the panned instrument with reverb, but also i can hear the reverb in the other speaker. Im beginning to think that panning the reverb with the instrument is not possible??? OR.......maybe the buss section or Aux section is damaged????

Is the reverb louder on the side that you panned it to, or is the reverb still coming equally out of both channels?

How do I use the aux's to pan reverb left and right? Is this even possible?? Is the reverb that is fed through the AUX always gonna be in the middle??
AND..... if i go the patch bay route, then i am limited with the amount of channels i can send reverb to. does this mean that since i am working with 16 tracks i would have to buy 16 lexicons.....one for each track???

Oh I didn't see that your aux had a pan knob. Pan the aux knob to the same panning position you have the channel pan set at. See what that does.

Check this out. Most of what your asking has been answered but.. :)
yetipur said:
How do I use the aux's to pan reverb left and right? Is this even possible??
Dual auxes or sends with pan are for making secondary stereo/pan mixes.
Most verbs do not pan the effect based on which input is feed- Some true stereo' ones will alter the verb heard spread within the L/R stereo field but never will the output only appear on one side.

Is the reverb that is fed through the AUX always gonna be in the middle??
Mostly, yes. You could have each aux feeding two seperate effects in one box, they'd apt to still be comming out a single pair of outs - you will still have to do your own pan of the outs.
Once you return the verb to a pair of mono tracks you can; pan them mono-center, center and Left, hard left, anything inbetween.

AND..... if i go the patch bay route, then i am limited with the amount of channels i can send reverb to. does this mean that since i am working with 16 tracks i would have to buy 16 lexicons.....one for each track???
When you send more than one thing to a verb, they would go to one verb. The ones that need dedicated (panned) will have to have their own verb.
This is not as bad as it seems. Typically you might have a few tracks hard left or right with a verbs either tucked behind them or off to the other side. Sometimes a pair of mono verbs are in one box, each on an output- but panned at the returns. But most track work fine in your more typical stereo field.

Last edited:
yetipur said:
to southside glen,
ok i understand that stereo reverb is a reflection from the surrounding enviornment. But why then would there be left and right ins and outs? Is this to cover the whole Panning spectrum? If the reverb is always in the middle so to speak, why would anyone want to do it this way?
A stereo image is not necessarily "always in the middle", it's a stereo image that could have it's energy distributed anywhere within the panning spectrum. But regardless of how that energy is spread between the left and right speakers, the image remains stereo, and cann't be "panned".

In the case of stereo reverb, picture it this way. You're standing in an empty hall. There is a guitarist a few feet in front of you, standing in center, midway between the left and right walls. The reverb comes back not from the guitar, but from the floor, walls and ceiling. It comes back from the hall. Now move the guitarist halfway towards the left wall. This is basically the same as panning the guitar track 50% left. Does the reverb "move"? No, the "location" of the reverb remains the same because the location of the floor, walls and ceiling remain the same. The *character*, the sound and the energy distribution of the reverb changes when the guitar moves within the room, but the location of the hall itself - and therefore the stereo image - remains static.

Now, the movement of the guitar within the room is the reason for the L&R inputs on the reverb. In order to tell the reverb that the guitar is halfway between the center and the left wall, that pan information must be sent o the reverb. If we just send it a mono track (like a mono send from the mixer), there is no pan information; it's just a mono track. We need to send it a stereo feed that has the guitar panned 50% to the left channel for the reverb to "know" that it's dealing with a panned signal. Note, though, that the reverb will still return a standard stereo image through it's L&R outputs/returns. It's just that the image it creates will be a simulation of the entire stationary hall, a simulation of what that entire hall reverb would sound like with a guitar located inside it halfway to the left wall.

If you want to localize the sound of a reverb, as if the reverb were coming out of the guitar amp instead of from the surrounding hall itself, then the most accurate simulation of that would be to return a mono reverb on a stereo return (i.e. a L&R return with equal and identical signal on both channels). Then you can use the pan on the return to "move" the reverb sound where you want. Which brings us to...
yetipur said:
what is the point of having an AUX pan knob like I do on AUX2?????
I explain that above, and mixsit also gives some alternate reasoning. The thing is, when you're receiving true stereo information - where the information on the L&R returns is not necessarily identical (it's not a mono signal) - like you are from a stereo reverb, there really is no "panning" in the traditional sense. Assuming you are actually returning both L&R back to the mixer from the Lexicon (you are using both channels, right?), you should be able to use the pan control on the return (it *is* on the return, right?) to adjust relative volume between the stereo L&R channels - much like a balance control on a home stereo amplifier, but like with the balance conrtol, the "pan image" may not appear as moving a point source sound through the degrees as you expect, instead just as a shifting of volume balance.

G.

Make sure the reverb channels are panned far left and right in whatever the outputs of the reverb are going into.

Back