One other question, mastering?

reco

I have been making songs for 10+ years now and recording for 6 of them.
I can get pretty good mixes and good sounds and such but....... I have one problem with the mixes: The loudness.
They dont have that punch and drive that alot records like for example APerfectCircles last album.......
What can I do to improve this?
I have waves plugins and also have wavelab and t-racks.......
Thanks
-Reco

If it was only just that simple. LOL

If you have Waves, then what do you mostly use it for now?

I played with the Effects and Verbs this past weekend for the first time.

I'd throw T Racks away. I've tried it many times and I have a VERY low opinion of it. If you have the Waves bundle, there's some compressors in there that will do the trick as far as getting some "ass" into your recordings (Ultra Maximizer, RCL, etc).

Ok, so you wanna join the loudness wars? Well, I guess we all have to, to some extent. The stakes have been raised, for better or worse (worse), and now if you don't play along, your mixes sound wimpy. Lost along the way, of course, was dynamics, until now what we have is a big square shaped waveform that starts loud, ends loud, and makes the ear lose interest along the way. But, alas, that's the state of things, so we have to deal with reality today. Myself, I refuse to push it all the way, just enough to compete, but not win and lose all the dynamics in the process.
So, mastering is where this loudness treatment usually gets applied, but if you wait till then to address it, you'll do more damage than if you think about it earlier in the mixing process. If you tame some dynamics on the individual tracks instead of the stereo master then you won't squish every other instrument in the process. Take a look at the waveform coming off your master buss, and if it's overly dynamic, figure out which tracks need a little compression to even things out a bit. As soon as you do, you'll be able to bring up the master fader a bit with no overs, and with a higher perceived level. Speaking of perceived level, frequency distribution also comes into play here, but I don't want to write a book here, nor am I qualified to.
When you do get to the mastering stage with a dynamically and spectrally balanced mix that's normalized , then you can go streight to the ultra-maximizer, or if you know what you're doing, break out the C4 multiband, followed by the maximizer. Be careful, and do a lot of A/b checks to make sure you're not screwing things up. If you came in with a good mix, then you should be able to squeeze out an extra few db or so without sucking the life out of it.
Good luck, RD

Track Rat said:
I'd throw T Racks away. I've tried it many times and I have a VERY low opinion of it. If you have the Waves bundle, there's some compressors in there that will do the trick as far as getting some "ass" into your recordings (Ultra Maximizer, RCL, etc).

I've tried it over and over subjectivly....it's just too easy to make a mix sound bad with T-Racks

Here's a question for someone in the know here...

In reference to Reco's reference to the new A Perfect Circle CD, "The Thirteenth Step," does anybody know how they accomplished their "mastering" process?

I have read a lot about that CD, and haven't seen anything about signal chains, or anything like that.

If you read the CD, there are no mastering credits whatsoever in the jacket, leading me to believe that it was all done at the mixing stage???

I have a hard time believing that they just used T-Racks or some other piece of do-it-all mastering software, but at the same time, if someone took the time, and got paid to master it properly, why were they not credited?

-Speedy

If it was done by the same people who engineered and mixed the album, they might just not credit it. Was it mixed by someone other than the person who produced or engineered the record?

bsanfordnyc said:
because they got paid.

I thought of this just as I was writing it, but I also think that in this industry name recognition is probably pretty important, and they'd want to be associated with a good job.

Insert on the CD reads as follows:

Produced and Engineered by Billy Howerdell at Perfect Circle Studios.

Executive Producer: Maynard James Keenan

(Billy Howerdell is the guitar player, and hopefully most know that maynard is the vocalist/lyricist, so it seems they are doing a lot of it themselves.)

Additional production on a few tracks by Danny Lohner

Digital Engineering Assistance by Steve Duda

Mixed by Andy Wallace

Mixed at The Enterprise Studios, Burbank, CA

That's it. The rest is managment, legal, who wrote the songs, and photography information.

No mention of mastering at all.

side note:

I did read in an interview, with Guitar World, while joking around they mentioned someone doing some writing in their PDA, and e-mailing it to Bob Ludwig for mastering.

I know that's just a joke, and a mention of a name in an interview doesn't mean much, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that name before, and if it was him that mastered it, it seems like he'd be on the insert, to me.

:confused:

I guess, um.....

I'm not realy lookinf for a war of loud like most "New Matal" bands now aday's. but I want the levals from track to track and if I drop my cd in it is way lower in volume then others.
I put Nirvanas Nevermind in and it was lound and punchy(but with dynamics) then droped in Thirteenth step same result(and they were made over ten years apart).....
I gotta figure that out.
-Reco

Re: I guess, um.....

reco said:
I'm not realy lookinf for a war of loud like most "New Matal" bands now aday's. but I want the levals from track to track and if I drop my cd in it is way lower in volume then others.
I put Nirvanas Nevermind in and it was lound and punchy(but with dynamics) then droped in Thirteenth step same result(and they were made over ten years apart).....
I gotta figure that out.
-Reco

Well, if you're looking for a "use this plugin and this preset" answer...sorry, it doesn't work that way. I'm just arrogant enough to think that after months of trying to wrap my brain around it, I've started to get an inkling of what mastering is about. One thing to keep in mind about dynamics is that it has to start all the way back at the songwriting and arranging stage, come to life in the performing, recording, and mixing stage, and then be PRESERVED during mastering. The thing you want to do, increase the perceived level of your recordings, is fundimentally a process of compression, which is of course detrimental to dynamics. Multiband comps like the C4 are a great tool to break the audio into different bands and apply compression dynamically to various frequencies. This goes a long way towards keeping the dynamics alive, but requires an investment in a relatively steep learning curve. The Ultra Maximizer is pretty user friendly, and does a nice job, but don't ask it to do too much or you won't get the results you want. Your mix should be pretty hot coming in, only needing a slight bump to get it up to commercial release level.
RD

Back