Noise Gate Settings???

Raydio

Im using GoldenGate for my gate plugin and I have a small hum in my mic signal. I understand the "threshold" setting but I cant seem to grasp the "hold" and "release" setting. As a result I get a PUMPING sound between breaths once I eliminate the hum. Any recommended settings??

The hold is how long the gate stays open before the release setting takes over. The release setting is how long it takes to close after the hold. (think fade time)
If it is pumping and you can't set the threshold any higher without losing some of the signal you want, you don't have enough dynamic range between the noise and the signal to be able to use a gate.

If your gate has a sidechain, you could use that to make the voice trigger the gate better.

Thanks. I tend to have little bitty pieces cut from the beginning of my words. Any recommended settings for a similar problem?

You can always use the volume envelopes for the track. Takes a little bit more time than your gate doing the job though.

What are you using? Are you at mixdown stage yeah? If using cubase or pro tools etc just cut out the bits that have no singing (remembering to do a very short fade in and out from each cut) and then insert a noise reducer on that channel.

If you are really trying to use the gate, you have the attack set too slow. You can just manually edit out everything that isn't vocal. That is what most people do now.

Thank you FarView, question... I know this is off course but Im a resident in the West Suburbs of Chicago and seen your studio website. If you are able to mix hip hop you may have a potential client ;) If its ok with you I would like to call the number on the website. You may PM me if you wish. Thank you again guys.

A) He never mentioned having the Waves collection. Most people don't have them, as they're rather pricey. And it's just a noise gate. One is generally as good as the next.

B) I would hope that he has the issue licked now that it's four and a half years later.

Back