Newbie Need to make cd for demo

Mullaly

Hi,
My band have just finished recording about 8 tracks, some better than others, with a powered mixer and a computer using N-Track a multitrack recording software.

My problem now is what to do with it the computer added some interferance which I was able to remove rather well using an eq however I have read about things such as compressing it which I looked into I was just wondering what can I do to make it sound that bit better and a tad louder I bosted the volume as much as I can that the tracks sound good in comparison to each other however how can I make it just that bit better with out forking out lots of money?

Well Thanks.
Allan.

One other thing most of the songs where recorded with all of the parts together as this was the easyest way with the tools we had. Allthough some tracks the vocals where recorded seperate.

So what's your question? You EQ'd and put the volumes right... The noly thing you can idd still do is compress, but compressing a LR master is a delicate stuff, so don't compress to much on a master track and first do some research if you're not familiar with compression.

What software do u use btw?

Ok well yeah I didn't really make it obvious did I. Probly coz I don't know what I am really asking :) try to make it a little better...

I am using lots of software but I can't decide what needs to be done some songs are perfec levels wise others are a little off can I change it much with the eq? if so what freq should I modify for the different instruments? those being guitar keybord bass and drums.
I guess my main question conserns volume it is still considerably quieter then profesional done copies. how can I bost it without it clipping? is that where the compressor comes in?

Well If there are other queries just let me know.

Thanks,
Allan.

about the frequencies you have to modify: on a full mix is that harder to say. If you can upload the different tracks on your PC, you can EQ every track seperately and that can give you better results. Sorry if I may seem lazy: but when you can EQ every tradk seperately, there are tons of rules which frequencies to boost or to cut, so you'll have to do a search on this board. The main rule is: don't let the instruments get in each others way.

I suppose you know what compression is: it reduces the peaks and or takes the quiet parts up. so if you have a song with a few peaks, which are in your way from boosting the entire song, you can reduce those peaks so you can boost the overall voulme of your song.

But like I said: be aware. Fiddling with compression isn't that easy (again too lazy to talk about all the rules:-))

Back