New song 'Red Sand' - need some help

mcmd

Hello all,

Well I finally got around to using my new DAW and I need help/advice on this song.
The area that I identified as a problem is the timing, - not only my abilities to keep time, but also the structure of the song. If you can figure out a better time signature , - let me know.
The main rhythm guitar is 'against' the beat and I think if it was done better, it would sound better. The biggest problem was that the click track ( 4/4 time) was confusing as hell to hear, while I was trying to play at odds with the beat. This was also a problem for the base guitar and lead guitars.

Another problem was that I haven't yet figured out how to balance the recording volume against the backing track playback volume, - it helps to be able to hear the backing track!
Finally, I'm not too hot on the bass guitar, and struggled to keep it together,- musically I'm sure you bass players out there could offer up a real base line!

I am using Cakewalk GTpro3 software, and tried not to overuse the effects, any pointers on the mix in general is helpful! My reference CD's always sound like they have more bass cut and high boost, - is this what I need?

Here's the link:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1944&alid=-1
Song: Red Sand

Thanks in advance,

/mcmd

I couldn't hear ne of those. I got a codec wasn't found error. I have heard others on the same site np. So can you let me know how you encoded it?

Thx,
livilaNic

livilaNic & Dogman:

I don't know why you got an error, I checked the download and streams and they worked for me. The MP3 encoder (Fraunhofer IIS and THOMSON multimedia) is bundled with the Cakewalk software. Nowhere says the song has 20 good plays and 4 failed.....I'll try a Lame encoder next.

Thanks for trying.

/mcmd

For me it was Windows Media Player not being able to find the right codec for the asx extension. It's not the first time something didn't play for me.
Ed

My default player is Real Audio (at home and work). When I tried Windows media player, I too had problems. There is a 'Change Player' button at the top of the Nowhereradio page, and selecting the second button for Real Player allows playback.

I just noticed that I should have posted in the MP3 mixing clinic...I hope linking to this thread isn't cross posting!

Thanks all,

/mcmd

mcmd said:
Hello all,

Well I finally got around to using my new DAW and I need help/advice on this song.
The area that I identified as a problem is the timing, - not only my abilities to keep time, but also the structure of the song. If you can figure out a better time signature , - let me know.
The main rhythm guitar is 'against' the beat and I think if it was done better, it would sound better. The biggest problem was that the click track ( 4/4 time) was confusing as hell to hear, while I was trying to play at odds with the beat. This was also a problem for the base guitar and lead guitars.

Another problem was that I haven't yet figured out how to balance the recording volume against the backing track playback volume, - it helps to be able to hear the backing track!
Finally, I'm not too hot on the bass guitar, and struggled to keep it together,- musically I'm sure you bass players out there could offer up a real base line!

I am using Cakewalk GTpro3 software, and tried not to overuse the effects, any pointers on the mix in general is helpful! My reference CD's always sound like they have more bass cut and high boost, - is this what I need?

Here's the link:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1944&alid=-1
Song: Red Sand

Thanks in advance,

/mcmd

OK, got it to work this time. Pretty cool tune. I didn't hear the timing issues you spoke of, so take my review for what it's worth. I liked it.

If you have trouble playing to a click track, especially if you wanted to play against it, try a simple drum loop, maybe even try different timing on it. I'm working on a song that is not straight 4/4, and trying to play to a click track was not working. I have some simple loops, many from different genres of music, and I just found one that fit, and played to it. Worked much better. Just a thought.

Back