Need advice on this Mix!!!

vegashead

Hey,

Longtime snooper, first time poster. I've recorded by band using ProTools LE interface and veresion 6.2(?) software. I have little experience with mixing, other than the bits and pieces I can get off these boards, and I'm having trouble mixing the project.

Click HERE to hear the song. Obviously, the mix needs some work, but I swear that it sounds so much better before I mix it down.

EQ suggestions?? does it need more compression?? what can I do about that vocal?? Any and all advice is very much appreicated....Please help!!

Last edited:
Bring the drums up front, pan those hats, compress the bass a lot and maybe slightly compress the mix to give it a better "hold".

By "bring the drums up front," do you mean I should use EQ to make them come out of the mix or boost the level? My problem is that when I boost the drum tracks levels, my master levels peak for the entire song...

vegashead said:
By "bring the drums up front," do you mean I should use EQ to make them come out of the mix or boost the level? My problem is that when I boost the drum tracks levels, my master levels peak for the entire song...

Turn everything else down then......

Makes sense. Are drums normally the loudest tracks? Most of my track faders are between +3 and -10. Is this too high? My recording levels were high.

My fear is that the track sounds quiet as it is, even though I've got no headroom left on the master track. It seems cutting the volume back on the instruments would make the track even softer.

Thanks for the help.

the only thing i can hear from the drums is the hats and cymbals.

the whole track seems a bit muddy, try adding a bit of high end on the whole lots. nice vocal take! the keys sound fine, the guitar track is a little muddy again, there's also something playing panned far left thats go some weird sort of flangy-wah-ish effect, which i think is too loud, it covers quite a lot of stuff.

organ sounds good. i like the groove part at the end, brought in by the bass. i'd compress that bass a bit, to fatten it up. nice lead tone from the guitar tho, maybe a little bass-heavy to my taste.

the only major problem here are the drums. i can't hear them at all. the snares just not there, the kick can barely be heard, drum fills are completely lost.

if you can't turn the drums up, turn everything else down.

if you want to make everything louder (ie turn the volume of the whole track up) then you can use a brick-wall limiter to bring up the volume. you also need to clean up the tail of the track.

cool song though!

Hey thanks Messianic..

The phaser effect was recorded during the tracking. I agree its heavy. Any way to compensate, or should it just be softer?

The drums have been difficult to mix. L Overhead, R Overhead, kick, and snare are the only tracks. Unfortunately, that harsh high hat is coming in loud on the overheads. Drums weren't tracked as properly as they should have been unfortunately.

I may remix this song from scratch. Any ideas on how to improve the drums? Compression? Eq?

Thanks for the help so far

Back