Narrowing down the monitors

robn

A Muse Zen
I've noticed some good deals on eBay for monitors (I didn't want to sell any genitalia to purchase new ones) and I've narrowed it down to these:

Monitor One's
Point Seven's
Active M1's
Event 20/20's

I've not listened to any of these, so I need some advice. My "studio room" is about 15X15. I've heard good things about the Event 20/20's but was a little concerned with the narrow FR (50Hz - 20kHz). The FR on the M1's are 38Hz - 23.5 kHz and the Monitor One's are 45Hz - 18kHz. I know that specs are a poor substitute for ears, but it's all I've got to go on at this point.

Thanks !!!

I love the event 20/20 - can I get some opinions on some large speakers for a client I'm designing a studio for. He has powered 20/20's but I'm building flushmounted main monitors for him and we want to know what to put in them - any suggestions?

does anyone want me to put up the initial plans in the studio construction forum??

Yamaha NS-10Ms man All the way they are a standered in every major studio around town here. http://www.soundkitchen.com Look everyone of their studios has a pair of NS-10's. Soundkitchen is one of the most highly advanced studio's in the world done a few sessions there. Anyway what i like about them is they make things sound very true not pretty. So make it sound good on these and your mix will rock. 20/20's sound awsome and thats exactly why I would not use them to monitor ;-) Just my two cents worth.
http://www.mp3.com/codyyoung http://www.codyyoung.com

My order of preference,

Events 20/20s,
Alesis Active M1s
Point Sevens
Monitor Ones

Go for the 20/20s, it sounds good because the mid is a bit hyped but it'll mean that you'll spend more time in your studio doing work. You just get use all these monitors after a while and you'll be able to get good mixes from them but if you have a bad sounding one, then boy ... I'm using the Point Sevens which is bass weak but very nice compared to the Monitor Ones (muddy depending on your amp). I'm not doing those dance/hip hop type music so its fine until I'm richer enough to get a better one.

I more or less agree. No matter what monitors you are using, you will spend a few years "getting to know them", and let me tell you, getting to know the 20/20's is a lot more fun then getting to know NS-10's. In fact, the 20/20's offer a detail of sound that NS-10's cannot even get close to! Plus, they are far less fatiqueing the listen to.

Skakes, I am not bashing you here. But many fine engineers who are NS-10 users recommended the Events for anybody who is not already used to mixing through another system. They are accurate, and dependable, and easy on the ears. They said they "couldn't" switch over because they cannot afford the learning curve. I get on NS-10's and without fail, I use too much reverb, and cannot place the bass at all. I don't like guess work. But, this is a relative thing. I have used my Events for 3 1/2 years now, and am very used to them. I only have to use NS-10's here and there, and really don't enjoy the experience. Just because the Record Plant uses only means that the Record Plant has many clients that are used to NS-10's, NOT that they are any better them many monitors available in the year 2000. But you can bet that many studios now are providing "other" monitoring systems to make sure they have their bases convered for the newer engineers/producers coming through who prefer, or are used to another monitoring system..... :)

Ed

robn,
Here's something you WON'T find on eBay. Research the Yorkville YSM-1's. Less than $250 a PAIR. I don't know anyone who ever wanted to sell these once they got them. Don't let the price fool you. These aren't cheap, low budget monitors.
Of the ones you have listed, I've only personally heard the 20/20's and Monitor One's. The 20/20s are pretty good, but be aware that the unpowered 20/20's sound quite a bit different than the 20/20bas. (some people prefer the unpowered ones, but most like the bas).
The Monitor One's? Well, if I had ever purchased those, they would be on eBay too. They're not terrible, but you can do much better.
Again, check out the Yorkville website www.yorkville.com and look up the YSM-1. Read the reviews. You can get them new and still keep your genitallia!

Yea Saxman, I have the YSM-1s and I've had two engineers go out and buy a pair after they heard mine. A LOT of bang for your buck.If you shop you can find them for $230 a pair.

im with crosstudio, if had the dollars at the time i would have gone with the monitor 2's..but like cros said "i dont hate my monitor ones"... They do the job and they do the job well i think ... for the price anyway !!!
spider

Thanks for all the feedback...I've heard of the Yorks but never researched them...I'll check it out. I had a good deal pass me by on the M1's but I missed it. The top vote on this BBS seems to be the 20/20's. I probably just need to go listen to them...there's no substitute for that !!!

Thanks again for the feedback !!!

I've had my Event 20/20P's for a couple of weeks and am very happy and impressed. I've never had a set of monitors I can play guitar thru and sound decent! Drums sound beyond killer!
Rock on at 20/20!

Well, I finally broke down and bought a pair
of Event PS5's. After reading alot of posts here, I decided the best way to go was with
Actives rather than Passives. I was looking at the M1's also, but got the PS5's instead.

Thanks for everyone's input...

Back